Quick St Croix Pier Observations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TN Traveler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
If any of you follow the Force Fin Manufacturer's Forum, I recently obtained a pair of OPS Force Fins that were designed for Jean Michel Cousteau's Ocean futures Society over 20 years ago. Since these fins are highly adjustable, I wanted to try them out snorkeling first. Finally after a couple of quick trips to the local beach, I felt I was ready to tackle the Pier. The fins outperformed my hopes but what I want to do is inform folks just how great the snorkeling at the Pier was, yesterday.

We snorkeled for over 2 hours and I can say that other than Snapper Ledge off key largo, I have never seen such an abundance of sea life and even Snapper Ledge never had the variety we observed. I don't know if it was the 81 deg crystal clear water, the partially cloudy skies or whatever but it was a great afternoon.

We encounter the usual Blue Tangs, Sargent Majors and Jacks but in huge quantities. The Glassy-eyed Sweepers were back and there were all sizes and varieties of Parrot Fish. Saw Butterfly Fish, Trumpet Fish (in a variety of colors), Peacock Flounder, Blue Headed Wrasse and Lizard Fish - and probably more than I can remember.

Saw one of largest Spotted Drum I have ever seen, a Sea Horse and turtles ranging from an 18" Green to 3' Hawksbills - all just casually cruising and feeding.

We ran into a school of over 100 Squid - ranging in size from 3" to 18" - that allowed us to literally swim into their group without spooking.

And the most special was a 2-3' Spotted Eagle Ray that was feeding at the outer dolfin. Probably watched it for 15 minutes as it found buried shellfish, sucked them out of the sand and ate them.

We watched a couple of Discover Scuba Divers for a brief moment and I thought their heads were going to spin off their heads (and they never got out to the really good stuff).

Will probably try and dive next week - get up close and personal - and maybe get some pictures.

I honestly don't know if we could have gotten that close to them diving - bubbles might have scared them or we might have resembled a predator.

great experience, can't wait for the pictures

Not a tease but just one of those times that rarely happens to me.

The Pier is always a good dive and/or snorkel but yesterday was one of those special occasions that makes 50+ years of sticking my head underwater extra memorable.

Normally I would want to have a tank strapped to my back but I think I would have missed seeing everything I did, if I was not just floating above. A great reminder that sometimes simple and easy can be super rewarding and fun

That is some serious squiddage. And then throw in a young eagle ray as a bonus. That would be memorable.

We enjoyed our dives on the pier. It is truly a wonderful way to spend a dive day.

Very nice!

So afterwards my wife tells me that there was a second school of squid about 30 feet away (further off the rip-rap) that was almost as numerous. Only those were smaller in size.

If the weather improves this week, we will try again, this time carrying a camera.

We are mostly cloudy for the past couple of days, predicted to clear by Friday - with temperatures in the upper 70's to low 80's during the day and around 70 at night.

cool!.... looking forward to see the squid pictures

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom