Quick release on second stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been diving for a year and I understand and can relate to thinking about different scenarios as a new diver. I would echo what everyone is saying, don't add a disconnect, instead invest in a good setup and provide good maintenance on your gear.

As for freeflows, while air does quickly escape, keep a cool head, end the dive and ascend. I've read somewhere that with freeflows you can lose air at 100-200psi per minute, depending on gear and other circumstances. At that rate you should be able to ascend OR reach your buddies octo before you are completely out of air.

Next, dive as much as possible, the more you dive the more experience you get and the more confidence you'll have. With that in mind take a few moments in each dive to practice a skill. Happy diving!

As for freeflows, while air does quickly escape, keep a cool head, end the dive and ascend. I've read somewhere that with freeflows you can lose air at 100-200psi per minute, depending on gear and other circumstances. At that rate you should be able to ascend OR reach your buddies octo before you are completely out of air.
Absolutely. With Recreational Diving the surface is always available as the main escape route. Sure, it may take three or four minutes to get to the surface, but you should be able to do that with a free-flowing regulator.

Alternatively, with the help of your buddy, you may be able to stop, breathe from their octopus whilst they turn off your air, pause, then turn it back on and hopefully the free-flow will stop. If not, then the dive's over and you need to both return to the surface.

It's an extremely rare occurence, especially in rec diving, and certainly not a reason to use a quick connect.
While I have never had a free flow on my own regs, almost 2% of my dive have involved a buddy's reg free flowing and us sharing air to the surface. All three started at over 80 ft.

While I have never had a free flow on my own regs, almost 2% of my dive have involved a buddy's reg free flowing and us sharing air to the surface. All three started at over 80 ft.
That seems like a lot percentage wise. For me, it’s less than 1/2%. And I’m not even sure I would really count that. Reg knocked free, and temporarily went into free flow. Easily stopped by flipping it over.

That seems like a lot percentage wise. For me, it’s less than 1/2%. And I’m not even sure I would really count that. Reg knocked free, and temporarily went into free flow. Easily stopped by flipping it over.
It does seem like a lot. especially since I have never had the problem on my own regs.

Assuming a regulator is free flowing, how long does it take to empty the tank?

This is wrong, and dangerous to think it is true. HP hose bursts might give you that long, but low pressure losses (like a good free flow) can empty your tank it 2-3 minutes. See Free flowing regulators... how much air loss?.
I once did a cold-water dive....descended directly to about 50 feet, had a good freeflow, breathed off the reg, while coming slowly directly back to the surface...had 200 psi left when I hit the surface.

Earlier, I mentioned that I use an in-line shut off that attached at the inlet of the second stage (i.e. XS-scuba or Promate) for use in extreme cold water diving. Does anyone else use these? Good idea or bad? O.P. - Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread a little.

Hey all. I’m a relatively new diver, I’ve done 12 or 14 dives and researched A LOT!!! When I did my open water cert. the toughest part for me was sipping the air coming out of a stuck second stage and it was a horrible feeling and got me thinking… which leads to my question/statement:
I’ve been thinking a lot about putting a quick disconnect on my second stage so in the event of getting stuck open I can disconnect and put in my octo and safety ascend.
I know that a stuck valve is a very rare issue, but my thought is safety first.
Please let me know your thoughts/comments.
Been diving since 2019 i fell you question and i see alot of divers in the starting fase being wery into seft and this new hobby finde all sorts of "safe ways" and what i will say is that all they smart extra safety things is mostly just a stupid ider or the dive industry Seeing som easy cash in you the gear is safe enough it's made for rec diving then it's safe enough for reg diving as long as used correctly and cared for 😀

Earlier, I mentioned that I use an in-line shut off that attached at the inlet of the second stage (i.e. XS-scuba or Promate) for use in extreme cold water diving. Does anyone else use these? Good idea or bad? O.P. - Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread a little.
If the cause is not run-away IP, "maybe", but if it is, you can blow a hose next or it is going to do the same thing out of the other stage.....

We dive very cold water, and use a pony. You go to the pony, shut off your tank, hope it thaws, open it again, but call it quits...

Recreational diving is the buddy system, head up, use up your tank, and get on your buddy's octo if you need gas to finish. Remember, a safety stop is optional.

Beyond that is "Solo Diving", and there are specific procedures for that....

If the cause is not run-away IP, "maybe", but if it is, you can blow a hose next or it is going to do the same thing out of the other stage.....

We dive very cold water, and use a pony. You go to the pony, shut off your tank, hope it thaws, open it again, but call it quits...

Recreational diving is the buddy system, head up, use up your tank, and get on your buddy's octo if you need gas to finish. Remember, a safety stop is optional.

Beyond that is "Solo Diving", and there are specific procedures for that....
I agree with everything you said. The shut off will only help with a problem (ice, mostly) in the second stage. Frankly, the only time I've experienced icing is in my BCD inflator valve. A 22degree (F) February day in Lake Tahoe. My own fault for using the inflator above the surface, expanding gas cooling froze it up...I should have used oral inflation. Quick fix and back in the water. Thanks for your input.
Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom