Quick question re shortening halcyon harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hank harris

Reaction score
I currently have about 2 feet of extra belt that wraps all the way back to the wings. I dive wet (7mm usually) but will eventually go dry. My questions:

What would be a good length?

What is the best way to shorten it? Will simply cutting it be okay, or do I need some sort of heat seal to stop the nylon from unravelling?

thanks in advance for any help!

hank harris:
I currently have about 2 feet of extra belt that wraps all the way back to the wings. I dive wet (7mm usually) but will eventually go dry. My questions:

What would be a good length?

What is the best way to shorten it? Will simply cutting it be okay, or do I need some sort of heat seal to stop the nylon from unravelling?

thanks in advance for any help!

Hi Hank!

I had the same problem too. Best thing to do it cut it kinda "rounded" and then use a lighter or other burning implement to "seal" the edges. It will eventually start fraying a little, but you can always re-burn it.

I would say that a maximum of 3-6 inches past the buckle would be optimal.

Hope this helps!

-D

I'd be wary of leaving only 3-6" past the buckle if you going to use a drysuit...

A DS with heavy undergarment will need more slack than that...best to put on a DS/undie and measure what you need for length instead of guessing. You'll be sad if you make it too short.

I second the warning -- I have about a 12" difference in length of waist strap between my drysuit and my 3 mil wetsuit. And I, unfortunately, was a little miserly when I cut my harness, so it's a PITA to get it buckled and I'm having to reweb it.

Take an inch at a time off and dive it before you cut it the next time.
When you think "oh, one more cut and it'll be perfect", leave it alone

cyklon_300:
I'd be wary of leaving only 3-6" past the buckle if you going to use a drysuit...

A DS with heavy undergarment will need more slack than that...best to put on a DS/undie and measure what you need for length instead of guessing. You'll be sad if you make it too short.

Oopsie - sorry, I forgot to mention the 3-6" past the buckle after being measured in the drysuit with the heaviest undergarment that will be worn (ie - 400g).

Take a cheap broad blade putty knife and heat the egde red-hot with a propane torch (or the kitchen stove). Then push it down on the webbing... perfect cut every time. It will leave a nice finished end that won't unravel.

The knife will no longer suit its original purpose but toss it in the tool box for the next time you need to cut some webbing.

(Any red-hot thin metal edge will work.)

I wouldn't try to round it. Cut it square between seams....oir grooves...I don't know these sewing terms.... and it won't unravel and shred out. Then melt it a bit and trim the big chunks off with a knife so it'll feed into the buckle.

Hank49:
I wouldn't try to round it. Cut it square between seams....oir grooves...I don't know these sewing terms.... and it won't unravel and shred out. Then melt it a bit and trim the big chunks off with a knife so it'll feed into the buckle.
I think what was meant by the rounding was to cut the corners off of the end of the webbing (Makes the end kinda pointy like).

Makes it easier to weave the webbing through belt buckles and such.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom