Quick Question about servicing gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joefish

Reaction score
Hello,
I am new to this board. It seems great so far!!!!

I have a quick question. I will be leaving for a trip to Belize on Friday. I have dive gear which I have used on 9 total dives in Key West, a quarry in PA and Maui.

I bought all gear new about 1 and a half years ago. Should I have my regualtor, octo and gauges serviced by a dive shop before I go? I have taken good care of the equipment and have totally flushed w/ freshwater after all dives.

Safety is my biggest concern.

I Have:
Scubapro
G250 HP reg
octo Flourescent yellow and black
depth gauge

I am competent enough to change all O rings but was wondering if I should have the gear serviced. I was going to hook it up to a tank here at home and test all functions.

Thanks for any responses!!!

joefish:
Hello,

I have a quick question. I will be leaving for a trip to Belize on Friday. I have dive gear which I have used on 9 total dives in Key West, a quarry in PA and Maui.

I bought all gear new about 1 and a half years ago. Should I have my regualtor, octo and gauges serviced by a dive shop before I go? I have taken good care of the equipment and have totally flushed w/ freshwater after all dives.

I Have:
Scubapro
G250 HP reg
depth gauge

I am competent enough to change all O rings but was wondering if I should have the gear serviced. I was going to hook it up to a tank here at home and test all functions.

Be safe and send it in. There is a lot more to changing O-rings. You open up the wrong thing and the PSI will have to be reset anyway so send it in.

Gary D.

joefish:
Hello,

I Have:
Scubapro
G250 HP reg
depth gauge

I don't consider my gear safe unless it's serviced once a year. I would definitely get your gear serviced.

--Matt

Get it serviced.. how much would you be willing to pay to have your reg fixed if you were standing on a boat deck in Belize, ready for your first dive, and the thing doesn't work?

Agreed. Just like with a car...gear that is not used falls into disrepair on its own.
Get your gear services annualy if it is used or not.

OK Thanks!!
I will defenitely do so. All of you made great points!!!!

Beyond what the other folks have said here is some more points to consider-

If you have a G250 second stage I am guessing you have a Mk20 or similar first stage, with the high air output of a balanced piston regulator you do need more serving to maintain peak performance compared to say a Mk 16 or Mk2.

Service your regs especially if you haven’t used them in a good duration of time, regs that sit in the closet are more prone to problems than ones that are used once in a while (i.e. once a month)

With Scubapro your warranty is only effective if you service your regs once a year, if you do they will give you free parts in your case about 20-30 bucks.

Replacing your o-rings can help you out, but in reality it does nothing for the performance of your reg.

Have fun

JUMBO

jonnythan:
Get it serviced.. how much would you be willing to pay to have your reg fixed if you were standing on a boat deck in Belize, ready for your first dive, and the thing doesn't work?

Or better yet, at 60'????

Just as a future thought, you might schedule your next service a month or two before your next big trip, so you can get a few dives on it.

For me, I've only had problems at two general times:

1) After ignoring it for a long time
2) Right after getting it serviced.

All the best, James

joefish:
I will be leaving for a trip to Belize on Friday.
Your LDS is a lot better than mine if it gets your gear back to you before Friday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom