Quick Divemaster Candidate Question:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bobroo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
A SDI divemaster candidate has one year from when to achieve divemaster? When he or she initializes divemaster study, or; a year from when he or she completes (passes) the divemaster test?

Thanks in advance!

A SDI divemaster candidate has one year from when to achieve divemaster? When he or she initializes divemaster study, or; a year from when he or she completes (passes) the divemaster test?

Where are you getting that from? There's nothing in the standards and procedures about a time limit.

FWIW I'm a PADI DMC... have been for years now lol. If I wasn't a single father, business owner and living in the Canadian Prairies it might have taken me a reasonable amount of time. As it stands it's taking a LONG time.

The only time limited items are my medical release and first aid certification. Medical has to be less than a year old and first aid valid (may also be a year, maybe two). I can't imagine SDI is much different is that regard.

The only time limit in the DM standards is a minimum of 40 hours of training to become a DM. First Aid/ CPR has to be current and Medical Forms annually. There is nothing in the standard referring to how long it should take to complete the program. As long as all the requirements are met, it doesn't matter how long it takes to get there.

No, all the above are incorrect.

A SDI DMC has one calendar year from the time they sign up for training to complete their DM. This is in the general standards, it is not located under the divemaster standards. If a DMC goes over a year??? Per the general standards, the DMC is required to start from scratch.

In the past, if a DMC went over the time limit; a waiver could be requested by their instructor/shop citing whatever the circumstances….or a secret handshake.

Today, if a DMC goes over a year, but not a year from when they satisfactorily completed the DM test, “Due to COVID, we are allowing DMCs the extra time, but we are requiring them to retake the DM test to 100%, with remediation.”

yep correct

I stand corrected on the 1 year standard. It took me a while to find it but I did and that applies for all SDI courses unless noted in the course standard. As far as the First Aid/CPR, minimum 40 hours, and medical forms those are right out of the DM standard. Thanks for the correction though.

No, all the above are incorrect.

A SDI DMC has one calendar year from the time they sign up for training to complete their DM. This is in the general standards, it is not located under the divemaster standards. If a DMC goes over a year??? Per the general standards, the DMC is required to start from scratch.

In the past, if a DMC went over the time limit; a waiver could be requested by their instructor/shop citing whatever the circumstances….or a secret handshake.

Today, if a DMC goes over a year, but not a year from when they satisfactorily completed the DM test, “Due to COVID, we are allowing DMCs the extra time, but we are requiring them to retake the DM test to 100%, with remediation.”

Where is it in the general standards? I can't find it...

FWIW, I asked HQ about the 12 month rule:

"The 12 months start when the student begins their course work/elearning. If the time is exceeded, we can reset the elearning code to start over (all that we need is the students name, date of birth and course) or if they've completed the elearning final, you can administer the paper final."

Back
Top Bottom