Quick change Dry glove for a DUI TLS350.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mitchell Teeters

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My dive buddy has the above DS. He has the zip seals in place and we have been talking about moving him from gloves to seals. The issue for him is he has early onset Parkinsons and his dexterity is not the best when he has gloves on. I'm wanting to make it so donning the suit won't be too tough. He would like to be able to don the suit without the gloves and then put them on. The zip seals are not that easy (from what I've seen) to attach and I would like to hook him up.

So here are the choices.
  • install the latex seal via the zip system and wear wet gloves.
  • install si tech perm ring system with the option of seals or gloves. (my choice)
Which got me to thinking, is there a system (quick change) that would work with the zip system on the DUI?

Mitch

I frequently have to switch out my drysuit, with Zip Seals, between dry gloves & regular seals. I can do it in about 10 min. tops. I use the flat blade of a standard table knife (since I don't have any finger nails to do it with) to losen the seals to take off the gloves or seals (once started, they come off very easily). To put them on, I use soapy water to lubricate the seal track on both the sleeve & the glove or seal attachment. Once the seals are in the "tracks" they go on quite easliy. I have tried it without soapy water & it is PITA. Try soapy water, when applying the seals or gloves, & see if that helps.

What we are trying to achieve is quick on and off of the gloves so he can self don, and doff.

Hi TNRonin,

This is Kathy with DUI. I saw your quick post. We do have a quick video up on the DUI website that shows how to don your DUI drysuit with ZipGloves attached. It is up at DOG TV - how to don your DUI drysuit with Zipgloves attached . The sequence is a little different.

Also I always suggest that people get their gear completely ready before donning their drysuit. Adjust those fin straps, mask straps, etc.,. It is a bit of a learning curve to do it this way but is fairly easy once you get the hang of it. Although your situation sounds a bit unique. If you have specific steps that are causing an issue... if you let me know... I might be able to find some suggestions around the office.

Thank you,

Kathy

Kathy I'm downloading the video now. The issue is the lack of dexterity my buddy has. He needs something that is easier to grip.

sent via nookcolor N2A.

ETA: Finally got it downloaded. I'll see if he can do it that way, this would help him a lot if he could use his bare hands. Thanks.

Last edited:
I have a DUI suit with zip seals and I have been using these gloves instead of zip gloves. Deprecated Browser Error. You use your regular liners and just pull the gloves over the zip seals with the wrist seals in place. Works like a charm. A few of my buddies are using them as well and they are very easy to self don.

TNRonin - Thanks for the reply post. Please remember that it does take a bit to get use to donning your drysuit with the gloves attached. But once you get the hang of it, it works quite nice. Again not sure if it is the solution for your friend or not. Also when diving with dry gloves attached without a wrist seal - which is the warmest option for your hands - many people find the dexterity is similar in the water to thicker, wet gloves. When diving you can lift your hands high to get air into the gloves. Air equals warmth. When you are ready to use your hands for something - like working a camera - you lower your hands and the pressure will snug the gloves down on the fingers. Hands feeling cold? Lift your hands back up and get air into the gloves. The hands are so tricky. Cold hands and fingers lose dexterity quickly. Again if your friend has specific issues that you come across please let me know. We have lots of people at DUI that have helped many divers solve issues over the years.

Martini - do you wear these as dry gloves? Sealing them to the latex wrist seal? Just curious. Thanks for the post.

Kathy

Thanks Kathy.

I use the SI Tech Quick Glove rings with my TLS 350. They are easy to don - you simply put on the glove and press the two rings together. They are supposed to be easy to doff - the theory is you simply twist the ring to break the seal between the ring on your glove and the ring on your wrist seal and then remove the glove. However, in practice, I have found that you need a lot of torque to twist the ring.

As for the DUI zip gloves, I have a friend that dives with these gloves and he has no problem donning and doffing his suit by himself. The only thing he needs help with after donning the suit with the ZIP gloves is for someone to check his neck seal. With his hands now in the ZIP gloves, he lacks the ability to feel whether the neck seal is properly seated against his skin.

Finally, the downside to any ring system, in my opinion, is that you never know if you have a water tight seal until you enter the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom