Questions to Hydrooptix users

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

two.crows

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm slightly nearsighted (0.75 DD) and use the Hydrooptix without contacts. I still have a way better visual experience than with a normal mask, both in terms of field-of-vision, as well as making out details. My subjective impresion is that the optical problems of a normal, flat mask are actually worse than the off-focus I have in my Hydrooptix. Does anyone know about comparative tests of visual acuity underwater?

They only problem I have is reading at close distance: gauges are still ok but dive-slate can be a problem. I recently figured out a workaround. Pooling a bit of water in the front of the mask in a horizontal position creates a flat surface to look through and all is well.

Before I'll start to experiment with contacts, I wonder if anyone has ever tried a pince-nez style frame in the mask?

Best regards,
two.crows

two.crows i have the mask and love it. I meet the negative diopter requirement so it is perfect for me. If i had to wear contacts to use the mask i would not. My suggestion is if you are going to use the mask get contacts to get the full experience of this wonderful product.

They only problem I have is reading at close distance: gauges are still ok but....

I am approximately -1.25 and have found the same result. On land I have pretty good near vision but as I get older, I've had to have things further away to see. My optimal uncorrected "air" distance is 12". Underwater, using a standard flat plate mask, I am perfect 6"~20'.

If the using of pooled water as a magnifier works for the occasional reading of slates- hey, that's great! Why complicate it further with a different solurtion? The problem with talking of this method is that it brings up another inherent design issue of the mask. Some people complain about that pooling. But then again, how many divers are ever horizontal and looking straight down? This is one of the factors that makes the HydroOptix mask an "advanced diver" tool.

I carry a small but powerful glass lensed magnifier when I am hunting for macro critters. Altho not useful for this purpose with my eyes and the HO Mask, it does allow me perfect close-up vision if I want to see the smallest read-out gauge. I would not depend upon it in stress situations, as it requires two hands, but so far I have survived the peril. I can see my SPG and Computer, I'm good to go.

I'd recommend the HO Mask for diving around and through most of the easy wrecks of the Red Sea and specific non-penetration dives in Truk and Bikini. The wide panoramic vistas are just spectacular.

Because of my eyesight not being -4.5, the things that are close (within 6') and small (less than 2") are hard for me to spot underwater while using it. Again- that's my eyes.

Your question, and the way you phrased it, tells me something about your diving. I am not so much concerned with reading slates, but in many dive situations, I am really interested in the "small stuff".... little, coin sized critters.

I could wear the contacts like they recommend and get perfect vision in all situations, but I prefer to switch masks for different types of dives.

CoCoView-2004-pictures-2012.jpg

In a more commonly shared example, during the dive at Mary's Place in Roatan, which many SB members have done- you haven't seen it unless you've used a HydroOptix mask.

The undistorted wide views are breathtaking!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom