Questions regarding Ikelite substrobes..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whiskysurfer760

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi folks & greetings from the Bahamas,

I just purchased a Canon G9 & Ikelite housing. I'm now wondering if I'd be better off with 1 Ikelite DS-125 substrobe or 2 DS-51 substrobes. I plan on doing a combination of both wide angle & Macro shots. Obviously the DS-125 has a wider beam angle and is powerful, but I was wondering if 2 DS-51's would get the job done. Please write to me with any feedback or suggestions.

Thanks,

Loren

DM/Instructor
Small Hope Bay Lodge
Andros Island, Bahamas

I would advise 2 strobes for macro. If you read up on topside macro photography you find many photographers use a ringflash or multiple flashes so there are no harsh shadows. The same applies underwater. This would be an argument for two DS-51's. You could also change the look of your macro shots by adjusting the (manual) power on each to get a specific lighting ratio. Also, I suspect the G9 will not go so wide that you need to worry about coverage.

Two arguments in favor of the DS-125 are better recycle times and a model light. Depending on how light it is where you are diving auto focus can take a while (especially on macro lenses). Having the model light to assist focus could be good. As for recycle time, you can take photos about 3 times faster with the DS-125.

(A more detailed explanation is available, if you ask.)

P.S. nice setup, the G9 is a common compact many Pro use as personal compact camera

You will want 2 DS 125's
IMO this is the best setup avalible, really fast cycle times, good angles, high intensity, long battery life, size is reasonable.

Your going to want a lot of light for macro so you can really crank the apature and get good depth of field. You will want 2 strobes for wide angle to get covage and penitration into the big ol blue.

If you go with the single strobe, go with the new DS-160 in place of the 125 which is being phased out.

For Macro, 2 strobes set at 45 degrees to the lens is just about the best way to go. For wide angle, mor power is what you need.

What you could do is get the 160 and a 50. Use the 160 for power and the 50 as a slave for fill-in and to soften the shadows.

Next time I'm in the water I hop to try my old Ike MS for the same function - as a slave to just soften the shadows.

You will want 2 DS 125's
IMO this is the best setup avalible, really fast cycle times, good angles, high intensity, long battery life, size is reasonable.

I agree, 125s or 160s are most desirable, but from the tone of the initial question, cost may be the overriding factor. 2 160s plus chargers are 3-4X as much as 2 51s. No special charger needed with the 51s.

Thanks for your replies and opinions. I appreciate the suggestions, and it seems as if my question has been cleared up.

Thanks,

Loren
DM / Instructor
Small Hope Bay Lodge
Andros Island, Bahamas

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom