Questions re: Monterey Dive Boats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rstofer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
On another thread, folks are talking about divers taking doubles and large singles on charter boats in Monterey.

Is this a common practice (providing your own tanks)?
Do the charters provide tanks? If so, what size/type is most common?
Do the charters provide Nitrox in their tanks? Will they refill yours? If so, what %O2 is common or readily available?

I had thought that you just showed up with your dive gear (no tanks) and away you went. I'm pretty sure that's the way it went when I did some charter dives around Catalina years ago (before Nitrox became common).

Richard

California Dive Boats : The Official Page

Several boats let you bring your own tanks, but not all are set up ideally to deal with doubles or non-standard configurations. You can always call to ask whether tanks or particular gas mixes can be provided.

On another thread, folks are talking about divers taking doubles and large singles on charter boats in Monterey.

Is this a common practice (providing your own tanks)?
Do the charters provide tanks? If so, what size/type is most common?
Do the charters provide Nitrox in their tanks? Will they refill yours? If so, what %O2 is common or readily available?

I had thought that you just showed up with your dive gear (no tanks) and away you went. I'm pretty sure that's the way it went when I did some charter dives around Catalina years ago (before Nitrox became common).

Richard

AFAIK, all of the charter boats will provide tanks, but people do bring their own. AFAIK, only one boat (Cypress Sea) currently has a compressor on-board. They pump air and EAN32.

Most boats in monterey provide Al 80's and ive been on one the has steels also!....only thing you have to be careful about when diving with divers that are diving doubles is there doing deco diving and you may come up from your first dive and they still have 30-40mins left in deco!! its not ideal to dive with them unless your diving doubles yourself!! and i dont wanna sound agaisnt doubles i dive them myself along with rebreathers but standard divers just dont mix with there diving style on a boat! that my 2c!

Most boats in monterey provide Al 80's and ive been on one the has steels also!....only thing you have to be careful about when diving with divers that are diving doubles is there doing deco diving and you may come up from your first dive and they still have 30-40mins left in deco!! its not ideal to dive with them unless your diving doubles yourself!! and i dont wanna sound agaisnt doubles i dive them myself along with rebreathers but standard divers just dont mix with there diving style on a boat! that my 2c!

Huh? Divers with doubles are doing deco diving? That could not be further from the truth.

I dive steel HP100 tanks and always bring my own. Steel tanks have much better buoyancy characteristics over aluminum. Whether on doubles or singles I dive nitrox within non deco recreational limits.

Back
Top Bottom