Questions on towing a dive flag.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My buddies and I have never carried one in 20 years. Only time we've ever been bothered was a newbie PD recruit anchored when he saw us go in and sat and waited 40 minutes until we came out to write us each a $50 ticket.

Still don't drag one. There's far more hazard in me getting tangled up while spearfishing than there is of a boat running over me at 40 feet. If I "have to" surface in a ship channel, or whatever, I'll release my SMB first so any boater knows there's "something down there" and steer clear. I've done that before when I was "lost" and decided to surface and get a bearing. When I popped up, the guy in the boat was about 50 yards away and saw my SMB sticking up and steered clear.

The "safest" one I've seen is a guy rigged one like a surfboard leash that was attached to his BC with velcro, but the line was attached to the velcro, not to his BC, in a fashion so if it did get entangled in a prop, the velcro would rip loose instead of dragging him.

My experience with dive flags is it makes jerk jet skiers want to come use it as a slalom, creating a dangerous situation for me, and we've had them cut loose and stolen while we were on the dive.

Around here the water cops don't seem to be aware of, or care about, the "50 foot" rule. If there was actually some enforcement and boater education as to what "that funny looking flag" means, I might be more inclined to use one. What am I gonna do when some fisherman motors up and cuts the line and drives off with my dive buoy? Take out my cell phone and call the cops? My cell phone doesn't work underwater.

While I understand the theory behind the "safety factor" I just don't think it works. My experience is it attracts more boaters than it repels. If I recall, the dive flag and 50-foot rule is mentioned once in the boaters course, one sentence about 8 words long. My encounters have been more "We had no idea what a dive flag was and wanted to come see what it was attached to" or "You don't own the **** ocean, dude" situations.

The State of NC requires a diver to use one when diving in "state waters open to boating", but nobody seems to enforce it around here.

While I understand the theory behind the "safety factor" I just don't think it works. My experience is it attracts more boaters than it repels.
Yeah, and I dive in New Jersey. Lots of surface traffic.

Dive at night. It is safer. I have a jury-rigged floating box that I put a dive light into. Night boaters are truly a different breed. We coexist nicely.

Yeah, and I dive in New Jersey. Lots of surface traffic.

Dive at night. It is safer. I have a jury-rigged floating box that I put a dive light into. Night boaters are truly a different breed. We coexist nicely.

That makes sense. "Night" boaters tend to look out more and pay more attention than "day" boaters. The ones who don't spend a lot of money on hull repair. :)

There's been nights I've nearly run into unlit channel markers or obstructions at night because I didn't see them until the last minute.

My buddies and I have never carried one in 20 years. Only time we've ever been bothered was a newbie PD recruit anchored when he saw us go in and sat and waited 40 minutes until we came out to write us each a $50 ticket.
My experience with dive flags is it makes jerk jet skiers want to come use it as a slalom, creating a dangerous situation for me, and we've had them cut loose and stolen while we were on the dive.

Logical disconnect.

Logical disconnect.

Possibly. But spearfishing dragging a float makes it more a drowning/entanglement hazard than a getting run over by a boat hazard. Since 2004 I've been run over by 0 boats. But I've been entangled several times, nothing major, just inconvenience tangling.

Based on the odds, it smarter to play a street than it is to bet all your money on either red or black. :)

Possibly. But spearfishing dragging a float makes it more a drowning/entanglement hazard than a getting run over by a boat hazard. Since 2004 I've been run over by 0 boats. But I've been entangled several times, nothing major, just inconvenience tangling.

Based on the odds, it smarter to play a street than it is to bet all your money on either red or black. :)
The disconnect is that you have "had them cut loose and stolen while we were on the dive", yet you " have never carried one in 20 years".

The disconnect is that you have "had them cut loose and stolen while we were on the dive", yet you " have never carried one in 20 years".

I've been diving since July 1988. You do the maff. :)

Back then a dive flag was more of a "suggestion" than a law.
We also did "buddy breathing", which PADI says is gonna make me die now.
PADI also told me an ascent rate of 60 feet per minute was safe, but now they tell me it's 30 FPM and I'm surely gonna die if I ascend any faster.

Oh, and we didn't have Internet and the telephone was attached to the wall. :)

Back
Top Bottom