Questions on the Ikelite substrobe 200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Ron. I've used the SS200 for many years, always in a manual mode. For normal blue water photography, set your camera in manual, shutter speed 1/60 or 1/90, ISO 100,
f8, and set the strobe to 1/2 power. This will produce a nice flash exposure from an apparent distance of 3 feet (4 actual feet). The strobe recycle is almost instantaneous. You can bracket with your shutter speed to get a variety of background (ambient) exposures. It's easy to make adjustments from this starting point. For example, if your camera is set to ISO 200, simply change the f-stop to f11. If you shoot from 2 apparent feet, set the strobe to 1/4 power. Get in the water and fool around with it. I think you'll be very happy with this strobe and that you'll find that manual settings are not too hard to master. -Clay

louisianadiver:
Hi Ron. I've used the SS200 for many years, always in a manual mode. For normal blue water photography, set your camera in manual, shutter speed 1/60 or 1/90, ISO 100,
f8, and set the strobe to 1/2 power. This will produce a nice flash exposure from an apparent distance of 3 feet (4 actual feet). The strobe recycle is almost instantaneous. You can bracket with your shutter speed to get a variety of background (ambient) exposures. It's easy to make adjustments from this starting point. For example, if your camera is set to ISO 200, simply change the f-stop to f11. If you shoot from 2 apparent feet, set the strobe to 1/4 power. Get in the water and fool around with it. I think you'll be very happy with this strobe and that you'll find that manual settings are not too hard to master. -Clay

I think for a DSLR, this is going to be a great strobe. For my S70, sounds like it maybe too much strobe! But that's OK. Thanks for the shooting tips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom