Questions On Hawaii Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

harleydeb

New
Reaction score
Hello all, This is my first post,have been reading and learning from you folks all this time. We have planned a diving vacation around my niece's college graduation and were planning to do the Kona Aggressor but to our dismay, the week we can do is the week the Aggressor is in dry dock!...ugh!..so here is my question, Where would you all suggest (out of all the islands) for some good diving and please suggest dive shops,resorts etc. any and all information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!Deb

by reputation, if you are planning on boat dives the Big island usually gets the best reviews (Kona side). If you are planning more shore dives (with a few boat dives thrown in) Maui and the Big Island would both have supporters saying they were the better choice (in other words, you won't go wrong either way) I have not dove the Big Island (except the Kona harbor ... nice harbor btw) so I can't compare the two islands, but I really enjoy the shore diving off of Maui :D

I have done a little bit of diving on the Big Island and Maui. I have included some links to various operators that either I have had a good experience with or someone I trust has recommended. You can see the links here: http://www.swimswithsharks.com/islandresources.htm

I also have some links to some trip reports. I like both Kona and Maui. If you are only spending a week and planning on diving too, I would probably go to Maui. IMO, it is hard to see the Big Island in a week and dive also (there are some altitude issues). I recommend staying around Kihei, mixing in some boat dives with B & B and some shore dives. B & B will get you back early enough to enjoy some of the aloha spirit.

Back
Top Bottom