questions on gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

goldfish05

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
When lookign to buy a regulator. what do you look for. i am very new diver and i am just looking at gear online just seeing whats on the market and i am just wondering what are some advantages to the different regs and what to look for.

What did your instructor give you as guidelines when looking for one? This should have been covered in your class. What did he say about the types of diving you plan to do, places, temperatures,Etc. ?

all he told me is that if i am serious about diving is to first get a good mask snorkel and fins which i did. he didnt really cover gear because he said he thinks its bull**** to try to push the gear on us. the type of diving i want to do is shipwreck dives. at the moment i seem to dive in warm areas.

When lookign to buy a regulator. what do you look for. i am very new diver and i am just looking at gear online just seeing whats on the market and i am just wondering what are some advantages to the different regs and what to look for.

IMO, Very broad question(& I'm no regulator expert).....What "different regs" have you looked @....Most of the better manufacturer's intermediate price range regs will do just fine ---for a long time....

i have said many times, look at what your instructor (or those at your lds) use. these are the people who are in the water every day. if the people at the diveshop try and sell you something they don't use, that doesn't make any sense. you instructor may not have told you much about gear, but he told you more than you think...what did he use?

:D happy hunting

i have said many times, look at what your instructor (or those at your lds) use. these are the people who are in the water every day. if the people at the diveshop try and sell you something they don't use, that doesn't make any sense. you instructor may not have told you much about gear, but he told you more than you think...what did he use?

:D happy hunting

This may or may not be a good method, some shops require their staff to use the latest and greatest (ie most expensive) of whatever brand the shop sells, for the very reason you state above.
The fact is most any gear made today will preform acceptably for 90% of all diver. Some have higher preformance specs than others but it's debatable if many divers could actually tell the difference between them - assuming their reg tech has done his job properly. Pretty much any middle of the price range reg from any of the major brands will do nicely and have most of the really useful features a diver would need/like. I would stick with one of the major brands, not that they are any better but service, both local and world wide is important to me. In no particular order, mid price range regs from Apex, Aqualung, Sherwood, Scubapro, Zeagle, Mares or Oceanic and others will do nicely. Don't get caught up in the hype over features and gadgets. Who cares if the reg will flow 500 CFM - you and your biggest buddy can't possible use that much air anyway.
Find a major brand that is serviced by someone you trust in your local area, figure out what features are actually important to you then buy a reg that meets your requirements. For myself, my to major requirements are a balanced second stage with a cracking pressure adjustment, pretty much any thing else is nice to have as long as it does not cost more.

all he told me is that if i am serious about diving is to first get a good mask snorkel and fins which i did. he didnt really cover gear because he said he thinks its bull**** to try to push the gear on us. the type of diving i want to do is shipwreck dives. at the moment i seem to dive in warm areas.

Explaining gear and covering the best types for conditions and needs of the student is NOT pushing gear sales. It is part of a good course. What else did he not cover in your class? I spend at least 2 hours going over gear in the classroom. Explaining the difference between balanced and unbalanced regs, sealed versus unsealed, types of configurations, and how to select one along with BC's, tanks, exposure suits, and extras like lights and reels is all stuff that should be covered in a basic class.

My advice is to do some research, sit down and decide what direction you want to go in, and determine your means and how much you can and are willing to invest. If you are doing only warm water you can do fine with a midrange model. I would suggest that if you plan on doing wrecks that may involve some colder water at some point. If this is the case a reg that is environmentally sealed is a must. An adjustable second stage is nice as well. Something like an Oceanic GT3, Aqualung legend, Apeks XTX, or one of the Scuba Pro midrange models will do fine and last you many years. In fact if you move into more technical stuff you will not need to exchange one of these. And my rule is you can never have too many regs.:D I have six plus my argon set up. THen will you be renting tanks or buying your own. If strictly renting or traveling alot go with a yoke connection, if you plan on buying and again if you want to get into wreck diving in any real degree you'll be buying tanks and I'd suggest bigger lp steels and that means DIN.

Too bad you are not up in my neck of the woods. If you go to my website you'll see I offer a Equipment selection service. For a few bucks we'll asess your needs, look at your interests and where you plan to go with this. THen we'll determine how much you want to spend. THen we'll make some choices and visit a few shops. There are 4 within a half hour of me. I'll go with you and we'll try to get you the best deal for you. I will not let anyone oversell you or get you to buy what they think is best for them to sell you. I do this for free for my students. Since I'm an independent and have good relationships with a number of places my goal is to serve you.

If you want more info Pm or go thru my website and I'll try to give you as much info as I can. I don't know what you have available in your area but I should be able to help you more than your instructor did.
Jim
Welcome to UDM Aquatic Services

Back
Top Bottom