Questions on drysuit and undergarments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am interested in buying a drysuit but I live in Florida and never dive in cold water except in the springs which are 72 degrees. I mostly want it to be able to jump out of the water dry. Do I have to wear anything specific underneath a dry suit?

As well as what drysuit would be best for a 5'2 110 pound 24 year old dive master in training. Whose going toward being an instructor.

keep in mind when you are teaching OW, and even being a DM, drysuits may not be the best solution for you. As a DM, you either have to be in the suit ready to jump in, where you'll get quite hot on land, or you'll have to jump right in with the suit not donned, then you'll be wet. As an instructor, you'll have to check with your specific agency on whether or not you can wear one while training new divers if they aren't in a drysuit.

For undergarments, it depends on the suit, and your cold tolerance. If you have something like a Pinnacle Black Ice, you aren't going to want much more than an underarmour skin in those water temps and it is likely too warm for the ocean. If you're in a shell suit, much of it will depend on your personal cold tolerance, so you'll have to experiment.

As far as staying dry, remember your hair will still be very wet, so your body will stay dry, but only until you get the suit off.

For size, your size doesn't really change the recommendation, you have to figure out what you want as far as breathable, bilam, trilam, crushed neoprene, regular neoprene, first. Then figure out a brand, if you're teaching thru a shop, they'll likely want you in their equipment *and should offer you a keyman discount on it, usually dealer cost + 10%*, and then you can figure out if you fit normal size suits, or have to go custom cut.

It says on your profile that you have maybe 24 dives under your belt. If that's correct, I'd personally hold off on dry suit diving in warm water until you find the right wet suit combination. I've done A LOT of diving in Florida and I'm a super thin and light weight guy who hates being cold. On more shallow dives (80 feet) I had no problem with wearing a .5 skin and then a 5mm suit on top. I even wear a 3mm hood and gloves. You won't get really wet, in fact it's so hot on the boats most of the time you dry off before you can get a towel. I use to pull down the zipper on my suit and within 5 minutes, be toasty warm again and ready to get back in, even in winter.

Now, with deeper and longer duration (below recreational limit) diving, there is absolutely a need for dry suits due to fatigue. However, with recreational diving, especially with OW students (max 60 feet), it's never a problem.

If you plan on being a DM, you will never wear a dry suit because your job is to get into the water, find the site, tie the line off and organize the boat. This is really difficult to do with a dry suit on, you will get ultra hot and find it difficult to do the surface part of the job. Plus since you'll be in and out of the water, with and without SCUBA gear all day, you need that dexterity and ability to pee in your suit because you won't have time to take a bathroom break on most jobs. I use to teach in a dry suit in the north east where water temp's averaged low 50's, high 40's. I didn't have a choice because I got too cold in a wet suit. It wasn't about getting wet, it was literally about thermal protection. However, the DM's on those boats were all wearing wet suits, even though everyone else was in drysuits.

In terms of finding the right drysuit, there are two basic types; trash bag and thermal protected.

Trash bag suits offer zero thermal protection. These are made of laminate and/or natural rubber. What keeps you warm is a thin layer of air between your skin and the suit. This layer is generally controlled by undergarments you wear, rather then simply how much air you add to the suit.
Thermal protected suits are usually made of neoprene just like a wet suit and inherently offer substantial thermal protection.

Trash bag suits are designed to fit bulky, so they have a lot of drag when swimming. The bulkiness is to allow for layers of thermal protection, which is the only way you'll be warm. When you add layers, you also make the suit more positively buoyant (due to adding more air gap), requiring more weight to get down.
Thermal protected suits fit tight, they have less drag under water and for places like Florida, you won't need any undergarment. So you could theoretically have someone cut the suit to fit even tighter then normal.

I've had Trilam, Rubber and Neoprene suits. I vastly prefer neoprene because if anything happens, leak or seal failure, you still have thermal protection of some kind. Plus, neoprene is a robust material, a high quality neoprene suit will last you decades, where laminate suits glue tends to fall apart over time. As an instructor, I also want a suit I can don and doff quickly without any help. It took me a long time to find the right suit (link below) but there are many companies who make them today. Really easy to deal with, easy to clean and very comfortable for long dives.

Anyway, that's my .02 cents on the matter. You'll hear arguments from both camp's, the laminate camp and the neoprene camp. You should try a dry suit first, learn how it effects your buoyancy control and maybe you'll change your mind. For me, in Florida, I would never wear a drysuit with students. But that's me and maybe you have other reasons to have a drysuit that we don't know of, but a good wetsuit should be something to try before making the switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkJrckGig7Y

Hello Heather,

sorry, but somehow I missed your original post.

I live and dive in Florida. We are in Ft Lauderdale or in High Springs area. Our diving is about 75% dry!

Here is what we do: 1. We bought Thermolution vests. We wear them under our wetsuits and dry suits and turn them on if we need to. Lately the water has not been too warm and one never knows when one encounters upwellings.

When I dive dry, I wear a "wicking" layer to keep my skin dry and put the thermolution vest on top. This way I cut down on putting on additional layers. In the caves, I wear a wicking layer, the vest, a thin warming layer.

Stay warm!

When I dive in the springs I usually use a thin 100g fleece undergarment over some underarmour cold gear as my base layer. That usually does the trick for a daily run time of about 3 hours for 4 days straight. Bear in mind that I have a bit more natural insulation than you do, so something like this may work for a recreational dive or two for a couple of days. Remember that cold is a factor of time...so what works on a quick recreational dip may have you shivering on a 3 dive a day multiple day run.

I agree with Tbone about drysuit usage for DM/teaching. You're in and out of the water quite a bit. I know when I'm working as a dive pro I usually opt for a thicker wetsuit since I'll need to at least keep it partially donned for a potential rescue scenario for a good part of the day. You just can't do that in a drysuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom