Questions for the thailand divers!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

morgan84

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have some questions for you guys :D

1. Nearly every thought and dream I have had since i tried diving has been about diving... Is this normal or am I the only one?

2. Where in Thailand should I continue my diving education? What are the differences between Ko tao and Phuket?

3. What budget should I be looking at? is 500.000 baht enough for a full year, everything included (Place to stay, DM and IDC fees, social expences, travels, gear and food++)?

4. I trust it wont be a problem getting an educational visa. If i complete my education in 6 months, can I then work as a certified instructor for the remaining 6 months?

5. Will it be hard to find work after completing IDC? What criteria are instructors hired after?

I would very much apprichiate any answers to my questions!

-Morgan

I have some questions for you guys :D

1. Nearly every thought and dream I have had since i tried diving has been about diving... Is this normal or am I the only one?

Nope, I live since 10 years in Thailand and have worked in the dive industry all of these years and you can say that my thoughts and dreams came true and were absolutely life changing.

2. Where in Thailand should I continue my diving education? What are the differences between Ko tao and Phuket?

Plenty of difference, check out this forum, there are some interesting discussions between the two sides. :crafty:
Check out what season you're going to be doing your training, although both sides train all year long, they both have 'better' seasons.
Don't restrict yourself to these two places, a lot of fun and good education can be had in other locations around Thailand.

3. What budget should I be looking at? is 500.000 baht enough for a full year, everything included (Place to stay, DM and IDC fees, social expences, travels, gear and food++)?

Have a look at my website, first link below and send me a pm or email and I can answer you more accurately. With just a ball park figure it's difficult to say, do you have already your own equipment, can you eat (cheap) Thai food or do you need more expensive Western food, how much alcohol do you consume (can be expensive) etc.
Once you pass your IDC and are able to find work, this amount should get you through a few months, assuming that you're already at Rescue diver level.

4. I trust it wont be a problem getting an educational visa. If i complete my education in 6 months, can I then work as a certified instructor for the remaining 6 months?

Once you book a course with us, we provide you with a letter that allows you to apply for an educational visa, should be no problem to receive it. The name of the visa says it all, it's educational, how could you legally work on such a visa?
To work legally in Thailand, you will need a workpermit.

5. Will it be hard to find work after completing IDC? What criteria are instructors hired after?

First of all, your attitude will be very important and if you're patient and deliver good work once the opportunity arrives, I'm sure you'll be able to find work in Thailand or anywhere else in the world. Usually dive centres that you book your courses with, will be help to give assistance in finding a job.

I would very much apprichiate any answers to my questions!

-Morgan

Hope this helps for starters. I'm sure there will be more replies to your request. Follow all leads, be open minded and then you'll have to make a choice! Good luck with that!:wink:

Hi Morgan,

I've just hired a young OWSI who's just done what you are proposing to do. He's got the right attitude and the language skills I need for my expanding customer base. There are plenty of bigger operations than me with perhaps more of a staff turnover. So yes, be positive and if it's your dream then go for it!

If you have the money to travel, then try all over Thailand, it'll give you an idea of where you'd like to settle for work. You will need that work permit though, but go one step at a time!

Good luck!:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom