questions for instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rubbachicken:
some seem to be in it for the money
cancun mark:

i guess you didn't understand what i meant, some of the dive centers i have talked to, it seems like they were almost processing divemasters, so "in it for the money" they are after my money, for the course, they were offering a quick turn a around, and there was no asking of where i'm at, diving wise
what kind of diver i am, what experiance i have
bu i have found a place, where i think i will go and do the course.
for me i want to be the best divemaster i can be
i love diving, if i could sleep under water i would
i'm thinking that i might like to be an instructor some day, and today is a good day to start working in that direction
so depending upon how well i get on with the course, it decide for me if i have what it takes to become an instructor

For me the decision to go through the process of becoming a Dive Master had alot to do with my Instructor. From day one of OW she started calling me Dive Master Candidate. This of coarse stroked my ego a little bit and got me interested in the pursuit of becoming a professional diver. To me it seems like a lot of fun and at 30 years of age retirement is right around the corner. O.K. maybe not right around the corner but eventually I am going to be retired. I think that becoming a Dive Master now will allow me to be in contact with many Dive Professionals so that I can learn from observing them and wroking closlely with them. When the time is right I will pursue becoming an instructor and do that when I retire. I can have a lot of fun and earn a buck or two here and there. Combine that with all the money I am going to get from Social Security and I should be living the good life. WOOOHOOO Let the good time roll! Anyway, I can't imagine getting my Dive Master Cert. from anybody but my instructor. She has already introduced me to many other Dive Professionals and to be honest with you I was not impressed with many of them for one reason or another. So I guess my suggestion is this... If you don't have an instructor now that you feel really comfortable with then get out there and start talking to them. It don't think that it is going to matter too much what you ask as much as the vibe you get when you ask a question. Do they make you feel good? Do they seem knowledgeable? Do they posses the skills that YOU require to learne. A person can be a great instructor to one person but be horrable for another person because they don't relate in the same way. I have seen it in MArtial arts many times. I have been an American Kenpo instructor for about ten years and though I have been in the presence of many people with more knowledge than myself, I could not imagine having to learne from them due to their specific teaching tactics.

Sorry I just realized How long this is getting. Good luck with your pursuit of Dive Master.

Mike

MikeFerrara:
Why the bageebers should any one get up early, work all day, half the night and get home late if not for the money? That doesn't mean that one isn't interested in doing a good job though.

IMO, why they do it is less of a concern for you than how they do it.

Amen on both counts. Way to go, Mike.

-------------------------

First and foremost, go diving with them. For fun. With their group and while they are also teaching a class. OBSERVE! Safety procedures and awareness, skills worth emulating, manner of treating each other and their students, ability to have fun while diving and teaching.

Then the questions:
What are the time, activity, and monetary commitments?
How many different instructors will you be allowed to work with and be mentored by?
Will you be allowed to work for/with them on completion of your course, and if so, for what compensations?

And:
Hang around the shop a bit and take in the atmosphere, the attitude toward their customers and students, how they interact with their staff. Is their diving orientation in line with yours? (Tech vs. Rec, Brands of gear promoted)

Enjoy your DM classes!

theskull

Back
Top Bottom