Questions for first timer to Fiji

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wader

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I are going to Fiji (Taveuni) in March over spring break and we are staying at Garden Island resort. Other than dive our butts off, there are a couple of things I would like to do/questions:
1. I collect hand carved masks and such. A cannibal fork is high on my list. I do not want something made in China, sold in Fiji. We fly into and out of Nadi. Is there some suggestions where to look for things of this nature? Are they all over? Are there places on Taveuni for this?

2. I am also looking for a traditional Fijian tatoo; hand tapped of course. Same questions as above. Since I can't dive 24 hours before flight, that would be a great time for it.

3. What are the current luggage restrictions for Air Pacific. We will be bringing our own gear, minus tanks/weights of course. I pack light, but my wife goes a little extra.

Thanks for any light that can be shed on this, I appreciate it. :D

I just got back from Kadavu and flew on American Airlines and Air Pacific. I had no problems checking two bags, and one was a bit over 50 pounds. However, if you're taking a connecting flight on Pacific Sun, they will charge you for having more than one bag, and if your bags are overweight. The fee isn't too bad though, I think 60 Fiji dollars.

When we were in the Taveuni area we did purchase a hand carved mask from a guy who came to the hotel. I assume he pays some sort of fee to the owners as the carver is not stationed there. There were various types with embellishments based on animals and nature. We purchased a mask with dolphin carvings as this signifies good weather. I cannot say who he was or where he was based. I would contact Garden Island Resort and ask if they have carvers coming to the resort.

See also a store called Jacks. The Nadi (Viti Levu island) store has all the wood carving you will need (overload actually) in addition to pearls, clothing, souvenirs, more. They have other stores around Fiji but the Nadi store is very large. See Jack's of Fiji - Home or Google Jack's of Fiji. I took a quick look and there are tons of masks and cannibal forks. There is much more there than on their website unless there has been a significant downsize since 2006.

I can't help you with the tattoos. I don't have any but I have known a few who got them in the Cook Islands and they seem to like them.

We flew Air Pacific (2006) but this was before the airlines got stupid about baggage fees and we packed heavy. We checked our luggage through from Denver to Fiji via United then Air Pacific and had no problems. The only part we were really concerned about was the puddle jumper from Nadi to Taveuni but the plane was not full and we were not charged. If checking through, there used to be international versus domestic weight and number of bag limits i.e. checking through from the first airport got us the international limits.

The international flight will be 2 bags at 50 lbs each. The flight between Nadi and Taveuni is your concern: the luggage limit is lower and they also weigh you with your carryon on the flight back. Can't remember the limit.

Thanks for the info. I took a look at the Jacks website. I can't wait to go! How close is the store to the airport? Is transportation easily available?

When we were in the Taveuni area we did purchase a hand carved mask from a guy who came to the hotel. I assume he pays some sort of fee to the owners as the carver is not stationed there. There were various types with embellishments based on animals and nature. We purchased a mask with dolphin carvings as this signifies good weather. I cannot say who he was or where he was based. I would contact Garden Island Resort and ask if they have carvers coming to the resort.

See also a store called Jacks. The Nadi (Viti Levu island) store has all the wood carving you will need (overload actually) in addition to pearls, clothing, souvenirs, more. They have other stores around Fiji but the Nadi store is very large. See Jack's of Fiji - Home or Google Jack's of Fiji. I took a quick look and there are tons of masks and cannibal forks. There is much more there than on their website unless there has been a significant downsize since 2006.

I can't help you with the tattoos. I don't have any but I have known a few who got them in the Cook Islands and they seem to like them.

We flew Air Pacific (2006) but this was before the airlines got stupid about baggage fees and we packed heavy. We checked our luggage through from Denver to Fiji via United then Air Pacific and had no problems. The only part we were really concerned about was the puddle jumper from Nadi to Taveuni but the plane was not full and we were not charged. If checking through, there used to be international versus domestic weight and number of bag limits i.e. checking through from the first airport got us the international limits.

If I recall correctly, the travel time from the airport to Jack's was around 20-30 minutes. The road in was two lane and they might have some rush hour slowness. We talked the hotel van into dropping us off and waiting for a few $ but the hotel didn't seem please with any of us for doing so even though the driver said he ok'd it with the hotel (this was on the way out of Fiji and we had a day room at a hotel).

According to sources I see now, Taxis are available at the airport and seem resonably priced (7-10 FJD, more for extra pax?). This site was supposedly updated 27 Aug 2010 - To and From the Airport.com - Fiji

I am not sure when your flight leaves for Taveuni. If on the same day, I would allow yourself plenty of time for travel to and from the airport and iniside Jack's. If you are short of time I would make time somewhere in your trip as we did not allow enough time. It was not planned in advance anyway.

I recommend Jacks because it's all guaranteed clearance for customs - you will have no troubles getting it back into the country. Not sure if the guy touring the resorts will be able to give you proof of wood that's treated or not.... Just something to think about :)

Souvenirs.
If that's your thing, then Jacks is your best bet. Sad to say, but the quality of locally made carvings is not really that high. A Cannibal fork will just be a poor replica - obviously the real things are mostly in museums now. If it is a great quality, it probably wasn't made in Fiji - quite possibly another Pacific Island like Vanuatu or Solomons, but not Fiji.
Jacks in Nadi (pronounced Nandy) town is a 20 min FJ$8 taxi ride from the Airport (don't pay more).
Now a better souvenir would be a modern day painting on tapa (bark cloth) there are some very good fine artists working here - not easy to find the good ones though. Have a browse through a few shops. I can give you contact details for some actual artists if you wanted. You can also take back Kava - not everyone's cup of tea (forgive the pun), but definitely a great thing to dig out and remember the trip with. The carved coconut shells used for drinking Kava (Bilo) are also cool and cheap too. The larger serving bowls, (Tanoa) are also authentic Fiji stuff but can be expensive in Jacks. If you ask a Fijian member of staff at the resort, they will almost certainly dig one up for you from their village far cheaper than you will get in a tourist shop. Almost all Tanoa are actually made in the Lau islands, East Fiji and should be carved from the local hard wood, Vesi.

Now as for tattoos - you are in the wrong country. The hand tapped tattoos you are thinking of are a feature of Samoa not Fiji.

I hope that helps a bit. You will love the resort and the diving there. World class.
Let me know if you have any other questions.
Cheers
Greg

p.s. I have no idea what Air Pac offer for baggage now - best ask them directly I think. Internal flights have 15Kg limits but they take no notice as a rule for tourists.

That's a real bummer about the tatoo. A year or so ago I saw a special on tv about the hand tapping. I thought they said Fiji, but I must have been mistaken. Well, that is a good enough reason to dive somewhere else!

As for the hand carving, I guess I wasn't looking for a "real thing". That would be well outside my price range. I collect hand carvings to adorn my "man Cave/office". Just one or two of something from where I have travelled to and visited. It helps support local people/artists and reminds me of the place. I don't need anything expensive or elaborate, so it sounds like Jack's will fit my needs perfectly.

My flight itinerary looks like thisdi We arrive from Taveuni into Nadi at 5:30 pm and depart Nadi to LAX at 10pm on Sunday the 27th of March. Would this be enough time to leave the airport, shop at Jack's, return to the airport and make our flight? Our luggage would already be checked, but we would have to go through security again. Do you see any problems with this? Are Sunday hours at Jack's a problem?

Souvenirs.
If that's your thing, then Jacks is your best bet. Sad to say, but the quality of locally made carvings is not really that high. A Cannibal fork will just be a poor replica - obviously the real things are mostly in museums now. If it is a great quality, it probably wasn't made in Fiji - quite possibly another Pacific Island like Vanuatu or Solomons, but not Fiji.
Jacks in Nadi (pronounced Nandy) town is a 20 min FJ$8 taxi ride from the Airport (don't pay more).
Now a better souvenir would be a modern day painting on tapa (bark cloth) there are some very good fine artists working here - not easy to find the good ones though. Have a browse through a few shops. I can give you contact details for some actual artists if you wanted. You can also take back Kava - not everyone's cup of tea (forgive the pun), but definitely a great thing to dig out and remember the trip with. The carved coconut shells used for drinking Kava (Bilo) are also cool and cheap too. The larger serving bowls, (Tanoa) are also authentic Fiji stuff but can be expensive in Jacks. If you ask a Fijian member of staff at the resort, they will almost certainly dig one up for you from their village far cheaper than you will get in a tourist shop. Almost all Tanoa are actually made in the Lau islands, East Fiji and should be carved from the local hard wood, Vesi.

Now as for tattoos - you are in the wrong country. The hand tapped tattoos you are thinking of are a feature of Samoa not Fiji.

I hope that helps a bit. You will love the resort and the diving there. World class.
Let me know if you have any other questions.
Cheers
Greg

p.s. I have no idea what Air Pac offer for baggage now - best ask them directly I think. Internal flights have 15Kg limits but they take no notice as a rule for tourists.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom