Questions for female DMs or instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nehallenia:
Just for the record, I like being taught by men, at least the instructors in my area. They are all great, very kind, very patient, but don't let you get away with any sloppiness.

Get thee to a nunnery woman.......

I would say that coming from the military and computer field should be more than enough for you to have the experience to keep 'em in line.

Fact is, although sometimes there are the "old boys" (you'll learn to pick em out night one- my favorite is the guy who's "already certified) IMO, you'll have just as many freaky women who "love being taught by guys" and think you're a threat....then there's couples....

Anyway. when I first started I was 18...and learned to assert myself effectively and retain control, while still stroking their ego (a necessary evil with these types) and a few scrapes later, got it down pat.

I'm sure you're learning curve will be a lot less, it's just a balancing act between knowing when to put your foot down, and how to do this so they'll feel good, and respect you and learn from you. Alternatively, team teaching has worked for my most miserable situations (all 3 were women, albeit) and I just farm 'em off to them!

And for the "instructors make peanuts" - not so. There are places to go where you will....and places to go where you'll do very well - it depends on YOU! I haven't made less than $2000 working part time for a while, and my last stint averaged $4500 / month. In Canada. Mind you - it's sales, and you have to be able to create you earning power from sales, not the standard hourly rate. Create or work in an environment where your income is only capped by your results. Most stores love this attitude in employees, as it increases business for them too.

I don't think I've ever made a peanut in this industry - ya just gotta know how to work it.

CUunderH2O:
Hi all,

I just started diving this summer, but I feel like I should've been doing this all my life. I've logged nearly 40 dives in less than 4 months (I DO have a full-time job), and I'm continuing to dive now that I've got a drysuit. I just love diving, so much that I'm thinking of becoming a DM next year. But I'm wondering, have any of you female DMs or instructors had any problems after your course, like finding jobs, gaining acceptance or just plain gender descrimination? Or had clients who "didn't want to dive with a girl/woman"?

First & foremost, congrats on coming to "The Dry Side". My only regret in getting a drysuit? Not doing it sooner! :wink:

I've been a PADI Instructor since '94; and IDC Staff Instructor since '95. In that time I think I've only come across ONE person who really had an issue with my gender: a Course Director who seemed to have a problem with female Instructors. Since I wasn't having any fun teaching with this fellow, and even LESS fun with his attitude, within a year I stopped working with him.

Fortunately, this gentleman is the only person I've ever had a problem with. Frankly, he's a dinosaur; his style of teaching & perception of female divers is outdated. The fact that he has very little in the way of repeat business only confirms it.

You'll do fine... go for it! :thumb:

Hey all,

I found out this afternoon, I'm in! I'm starting the DM course in the spring. I can't wait! :D Of course, that's after I get some more fun dives in before we get ice on the river! Then again, there's always ice diving! :wink:

You know, I was just thinking today, we already have a few female instructors: my OW (pool & classroom) instructor was female, one of the OW weekend instructors was female, and one of the instructors for DMs/instructors is female, too. But we don't currently have any female DMs, so that's good for me, I guess.

I personally don't care what gender the instructor is, as long as he or she is competent and I can learn something from them. I've read some scary posts about instructors in the New2Scuba area that make me glad I had good, patient instructors for all my courses.

cancun mark:
Dont think of it as a job, its more like supporting a habit.
I like that idea! If I can make enough to offset the cost of the dives & any extra equipment, I'll be happy with that!

CUunderH2O:
I like that idea! If I can make enough to offset the cost of the dives & any extra equipment, I'll be happy with that!

In some areas you still won't make that as a DM, so do be aware. But I haven't heard of any locations where you also don't get some "free fun" dives in with your company if you are working for them...

alcina:
In some areas you still won't make that as a DM, so do be aware. But I haven't heard of any locations where you also don't get some "free fun" dives in with your company if you are working for them...
Well, it's not like I'm getting into this for the money anyway! I'll be happy with any free dives or discounts, as I know they are given to the other DMs around here.

CUunderH2O:
Well, it's not like I'm getting into this for the money anyway! I'll be happy with any free dives or discounts, as I know they are given to the other DMs around here.

I forgot to say...HAVE FUN!!

Being an instructor is my primary job. I don't make a good living of course :)

There certainly is a good old boys club in scuba diving. Many women have complained about how they are treated. One suggestion I would make is don't let inappropriate comments slide the first time they are made. I would make sure they know you don't care for it at all. If you let it slide it gets worse.

My wife is not a DM but she is around most of my classes. Women go to her on topics they aren't comfortable discussing with a male. She's quite a help and she will eventually become a DM and an instructor when time permits.

Well you couldn't have made a better decision in my opinion. I gained my DM earlier this year, and whilst work over here is part time, the options broaden vastly if you are interested in moving to somewhere within the vicinity of a reef! I know loads of instructors based in Egypt who work as full time instructors, and have done for years.
It may be a good idea to decide where you want to be based, do your DM there, and the IDC too. That way, you will have built up a rapport with the centre as well as learning their preferences when it comes to how a course is run or how divers are guided.
Yes you will be very busy doing DM stuff once your course begins, and you may have a few moment where you feel you have done nothing but watch and felt responsible for other divers all week! But it will be soooo worth it, if only for the satisfaction at the end of the course.
I would suggest reading up on stuff now, that way the theory won't take up so much time during the course itself. I found it helpful to read the Knowledge work book and Encyclopaedia of Recreational diving, doing all the exercises in advance of the course. Then the course becomes more of a revision of the facts.
With regards to finding work, this hadn't crossed my mind before, however some women do prefer to be taught by a woman and will request this, so in that case, you can only be an asset to your dive centre.
Good luck and happy diving!

Back
Top Bottom