Questions for female DMs or instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CUunderH2O

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,

I just started diving this summer, but I feel like I should've been doing this all my life. I've logged nearly 40 dives in less than 4 months (I DO have a full-time job), and I'm continuing to dive now that I've got a drysuit. I just love diving, so much that I'm thinking of becoming a DM next year. But I'm wondering, have any of you female DMs or instructors had any problems after your course, like finding jobs, gaining acceptance or just plain gender descrimination? Or had clients who "didn't want to dive with a girl/woman"?

I only ask because I'm on my second career and both of them have involved a lot of the "old boys club" attitude. I used to be in the military, in a job that was not very female-friendly, and now I'm in computers, which occasionally can be the same (but thankfully not as much). Is the dive industry the same? I have noticed that sometimes there's a bit of conflict between technical & non-technical divers, but is there gender bias, too? Not that I've seen a lot of it, in fact I haven't. I'm just wondering whether any of you have seen it, and how it turned out.

Thanks!

Hi. Can't say that I have personally had any problems. But as in every profession, there will be a small number of people who cause problems. I'm not aware of any exceptional issues within diving but others may be. If it isn't there, don't look for it. if it is there, we should always deal with it.

You sound like you are really enthusiastic - don't let this concern put you off! Go for it

Thanks for your input, verona. I'm not expecting any big problems, but as I mentioned, having worked in male-dominated professions before, I wouldn't be surprised if there were occasional issues, and I do get tired of that kind of bull****. I think it helps that in my area there are a fair amount of female instructors, but I don't see them often enough to be able to ask them these questions.

As a DM, do you find you have less time to spend on 'fun' diving, I mean, non-instructional/DM dives? It seems all the DM candidates I met this summer were too busy to dive except when they had to, as part of their training.

As a DM candidate you will not have a lot of free time to dive for fun most likely. After your complete your training your time will be your own again. You will probably find that you need to find a balance between gaining experience and keeping your sanity on fun dives.

Yes, there is some sexism in this industry, but I haven't noticed it being as much as in a lot of other areas of the workforce. Competence soon shows through and any negative ideas one may have had usually disappear.

There is a tremendous amount of competition out there for DM and Instructor positions. I get more than 20 applications a week when we have no positions posted...and that excludes the apps that come in from unqualified divers and phone queries.

I think a lot of the time you will have a better chance at gainful employment if you are an instructor. You can simply do more things for your employer. Have a mini-plan: figure out where you would like to work and do some research on what type of people & skills they desire. Get as much real life experience as you can in the diving industry - most commonly from a substantial DM course. Have skills above and beyond the DM skills so you are more useful - people & communication skills, product knowledge, another language, promotion & advertising ideas etc...think whole business: only about 2% of diving business is diving - the rest is business!

Good luck and keep those questions coming!

To think you will be able to "make a living" as an instructor or DM, may be a bit hopeful. 99% of the instructors (& DMs) I know have a primary job or have a VERY good secondary.

Alcina is absolutely correct...you need to do your homework and get some experience under your belt. New instructors are a dime-a-dozen, the ones that are sought after are those with a proven tract record, offer specialities that the area you are teaching in is looking for, and a client base (if you are going to teach in the area you live).

Don't let this discourage you!!! Just plan your dive and dive your plan!

Good luck!

alcina and MsParamedic,

You've brought up some good points to consider. I never really thought of being an instructor as my primary job, I know it doesn't pay enough. But as a secondary job, doing something I know I'll enjoy would be nice for a change. I know I have a lot of other skills I can offer, so hopefully this will help me succeed. Thanks again!

CUunderH2O:
As a DM, do you find you have less time to spend on 'fun' diving, I mean, non-instructional/DM dives? It seems all the DM candidates I met this summer were too busy to dive except when they had to, as part of their training.

Yes while I was training, there was a lot of diving as part of the course and not so much time for fun diving. That is why it is so important that you still try and do some fun diving - because, after all, that is why you got into diving in the first place. And believe it or not, not all dives you do in DM training are fun!! Particularly, February in Scotland. :wink:

CUunderH2O:
I never really thought of being an instructor as my primary job, I know it doesn't pay enough. !

Dont think of it as a job, its more like supporting a habit. :11:

I know this was directed mainly towards women in the first person experience, but after many years in the industry I have found that women (as a minority in the industry) often have an advantage. Men like being taught by women and women like being taught by women, while not all women like being taught by men.

As far as bad mojo, I have rarely witnessed it or heard reports of it in resort diving areas.. Perhaps it is more common in the naff quarries of the colder zones where machismo rules and diving is supposed to be macho!?!?!?!?...

Dont be put off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cancun mark:
Dont think of it as a job, its more like supporting a habit. :11:

I know this was directed mainly towards women in the first person experience, but after many years in the industry I have found that women (as a minority in the industry) often have an advantage. Men like being taught by women and women like being taught by women, while not all women like being taught by men.

As far as bad mojo, I have rarely witnessed it or heard reports of it in resort diving areas.. Perhaps it is more common in the naff quarries of the colder zones where machismo rules and diving is supposed to be macho!?!?!?!?...

Dont be put off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just for the record, I like being taught by men, at least the instructors in my area. They are all great, very kind, very patient, but don't let you get away with any sloppiness.

CUunderH2O:
Hi all,
CU,

I'm not an instructor, but thought I'd put my two cents in as a woman diver. I, and most of my female friends who dive, like taking classes from women instructors. They understand any special problems we might have -- like fitting equipment that was made for a man but will be sold to a woman. :10:

Keep at it. There seems to be a growing number of women DMs in my area, and I like the trend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom