Questions before WTB: Fuji E900

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MGW1979

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been reading posts and reviews and researching prices and it seems to me that the Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing is a very good value. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to have everything a beginner UW photographer could ask for: 9MP, RAW, Full-manual controls.

How is the battery life and ease of use with this particular camera and housing. I'm new to photography and don't really want to ever use strobes. Is this a good choice for me? I was also considering the Cannon A630/640, but the E900 has raw.

Thanks, Marek

I use the F900 with Ikelite housing and DS 50 strobe for students to use in UM Digital Phto classes.

It is rugged, performs well and the quality of the pictures if is great.

I have used it on 2 hour dives with rebreather and taken around 150 to 200 shots and still had battery left...

Mike...

What's the difference with the F900? How is it without a strobe? Seems like I'd run out of space on a 1Gig card before batteries...
Thank, Marek

The E-900 is a really good camera - my dive buddy has one and gets great results.Good choice.

I'm willing to bet that you will be reconsidering wanting strobes once you see the resusts that you get using the internal flash in anything less than Gin clear water !!

I use an E900 without a strobe, and I am pleased with the results. I've only used it in tropical waters thou with very good visibility so I can't say what it would be like in other conditions.

Battery life is fine for me on two tank boat dives. I tested it before I first dove with it shooting jpgs with flash on every shot and more than filled a 1 gb card (which holds 228 jpgs in fine mode). I recently purchased a type H 2 gb card which holds 108 RAW files. I don't anticipate any problems with battery life to fill this card, thou I won't dive with it again until May to make sure.

I've never heard of the F900, so can't comment on that.

I've used one with a couple of different strobes for quite a while before selling it to move to a DSLR.

The batteries last about 2 dives at best, esp if you write RAW files or turn up the internal strobe.

Personally I don't think you'll want to use it without an external strobe. And the strobe of choice would be some flavor on Inon, as it has a great pre-flash dampening circuit that allows the camera to recycle much faster, esp when using it in macro. I used two strobes.

Also if you use it with an Inon macro or W/A lens the adapter/lens will shadow the shots.

I have many shots on my Flickr galleries form Indonesia, Truk and the PNW.
See: Optical Ocean on Flickr. there's also some tips on it use and aqn article on getting started in UW Photography on my blog as below.

Jack

Thanks for all the replies. Is there any reason not to use this particular camera without a strobe (compared to any other strobe-less camera)?

Dhokens
I heard that it only takes 1 gig cards, Does you 2 gig card work well??

Well I found the Camera for $280 Cdn so I'm going to buy it. Seems like a great price! Does anyone know any camera stores in Canada that sell Ikelite? I might have to just order the houseing off the internet.
Thanks for the replies!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom