Questions about using Sealife Video light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GAFUN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have a Sealife DC1400 with strobe and am considering adding a video light. For those that have both, Do you
use the video light WITH the strobe to take photos? Is the picture quality better?

I also have a GoPro Hero3 and assume the light could be used with it also.

Would it be worth paying the extra money to get a Light and Motion Sola 800 photo?

Thanks

I have the DC1200 with both the video and strobe. I have used them in combination in taking pictures especially in the coral crevices. The only thing I would say is the video arm could be more flexable and longer to get the beam focus to help illuminate the subject. If you are not with in the flash and or video light range the pictures will be either under underexposed or greenish blue and sometimes your eyes will see more than the camera with the sealife video light. Having said this I'm going to be going to the DSLR camera so I can get better a better focus using manual adjustments along with ISO and F stop to help with the varing light conditions

I have the 980 video light, although with another brand of point and shoot. I originally got it instead of a real strobe, but found out it's a poor substitute. I rarely use it for video- I don't like the color temperature, and I generally shoot stills anymore. I'd say if you're looking for a video light it would be worth it to step up to a Sola. For my purposes, I use it as my primary light during day dives (we typically average 6-10' viz on the Oregon coast), and even then I'd rather have a can light. I did try it alongside my strobe, and again the color temperature difference was annoying. One thing where this light excels as is a focus light, especially on night dives. You can set some dip switches so it shuts off for a few seconds when it senses a strobe firing. If I go to a dual strobe setup, I think I'll try to incorporate it into my rig for just that purpose. As far as functionality, battery life is respectable and I haven't had any issues with reliability or workmanship; I've used it for about a hundred dives.

I have a DC-800. I have the video light and a strobe. My avatar was a still pic I took with the video light. It was back under a ledge. You can see the cone zone. The strobe didn't fire. Somebody forgot to put fresh batteries in the strobe before the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom