Questions about twinsets.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I mean, those are pretty sturdy.

It's all about risk assessment and individual tolerance (until you become somebody else's problem).

While it may very well work, it's definitely a more vulnerable link than a continuous strap.

That much said, SCUBAPRO makes the PureTek backplate with some Fastex (pinch) buckles. However, they're much larger buckles and purposely selected for carrying two tanks in backmount configuration.

If your BC is not purpose-built for carrying two tanks, then you assume that risk of using it outside the manufacturer's intended design. Sorta like taking a two wheel drive car on a four wheel trail. It's all hee-haw fun until you break a CV joint, get high centered, etc. It's not a failure of the car and very few four wheelers are going to think you were cool when you're clogging the trail.

Check out the classifieds.....lightly used and high quality twinset rigs for sale all the time there.

It's all about risk assessment and individual tolerance (until you become somebody else's problem).

While it may very well work, it's definitely a more vulnerable link than a continuous strap.

That much said, SCUBAPRO makes the PureTek backplate with some Fastex (pinch) buckles. However, they're much larger buckles and purposely selected for carrying two tanks in backmount configuration.

If your BC is not purpose-built for carrying two tanks, then you assume that risk of using it outside the manufacturer's intended design. Sorta like taking a two wheel drive car on a four wheel trail. It's all hee-haw fun until you break a CV joint, get high centered, etc. It's not a failure of the car and very few four wheelers are going to think you were cool when you're clogging the trail.

Check out the classifieds.....lightly used and high quality twinset rigs for sale all the time there.
Thankyou, that is quite logical. I will probably contact Mares just out of curiosity about my BCD and find out about its capabilities.

Thankyou, that is quite logical. I will probably contact Mares just out of curiosity about my BCD and find out about its capabilities.

They're not going to tell you that your BC sucks for doubles. But it almost certainly does.

It's great that you're curious about diving doubles and it's not rocket science, but you should understand that the VAST MAJORITY of twinset users use an isolator manifold set of banded doubles mounted on a backplate. There's a reason for that. By "twinset" I mean a pair of tanks mounted on your back, AKA "backmount". The advantages of the manifold are generally thought to far outweigh any theoretical advantage to independent backmount doubles. Each tank has a 1st and 2nd stage regulator; since the tanks are connected by a manifold that allows air to flow freely between them, you only need one SPG, which is generally attached to the left tank regulator. You only close the isolator, separating the tanks, in the event of an emergency failure of one of the tanks, other than the regulator or valve parts outside the seat (like a stem o-ring). Regulator failure (or valve stem o-ring) requires that you simply shut down the valve on that tank, and you still have access to all the gas in both tanks through the other regulator. This is a major safety feature. But if the manifold itself failed in a very specific way, then you could lose gas from both tanks. Fortunately, that kind of failure is extremely rare, in fact, I don't know of a single confirmed case of manifold failure on both sides simultaneously.

Sidemount, as opposed to backmount, is becoming more and more popular; in that case, each tank is mounted on a soft harness with bungee and boltsnaps to the diver's sides. The tanks are completely isolated, and the diver can easily see and reach the valves. (That's a big plus) You need an SPG on each tank. You also need to switch breathing from one tank to the other on a set schedule so that each tank is breathed down evenly. This is for safety; if you lose the gas in one tank, you need to have some in the other. There are lots of advantages to sidemount; one is that you don't need to carry doubles around. The lightest commonly used twinset (AL80s) weighs over 75 lbs. Sidemount also allows the diver access to tighter restricted passages, which is a big advantage in cave diving.

The main thing for someone in your position, i.e a new diver (assuming your profile is accurate) that is curious about technical diving, is to first determine what kinds of dives you want to go on that would require technical equipment and training, and then choose a configuration that helps achieve those goals. In general, it's an easier switch from a single tank recreational set up to backmount manifolded doubles than it is to sidemount. There's just less new stuff to learn. But, many divers feel that sidemount diving is physically easier and that trim and buoyancy control are easier to achieve once the basic set up and skills are learned.

Sorry, I might have gotten a little off topic. Get a metal backplate if you want to learn to dive backmount doubles, don't use your soft BC. It will not do the job well at all.

Would a Mares Pure SLS count as a recreational? It is a wing BCD and people say it's more of a mid-higher level bcd.

I watched a video review last night about your Mares BC. “Lightweight and made for travel” so yes, it’s definitely a recreational grade BC and not a good candidate for experimenting to see if it’ll manage a twinset.

Mares is quality gear but best not to conflate quality and application. A Ferrari is a high quality car but I wouldn’t use it around the farm.

There are lots of advantages to sidemount; one is that you don't need to carry doubles around. The lightest commonly used twinset (AL80s) weighs over 75 lbs.
I actually find this both an advantage and disadvantage. I just started sidemounting and really miss the convenience of hauling everything as a single unit.

Hi @Scuba_Nick27 since you're looking into technical diving and to me seem unsure what to choose I'll share my thoughts about it in general.

I view equipment in technical and cave diving to be purpose driven.
I think setting a course for yourself and plan what you want to achieve helps in setting a clear path which training you need for that. And be honest with yourself here too. A certain goal might take not only some serious training but being able to accomplish those dives very likely requires you to keep that level too. This requires you to perform such dives at a certain frequency. All this preparation takes money (the easy part) but also time and determination. Accept that you might fail too. Just as recreational scuba diving is not enjoyable for every snorkeler technical diving is not for every rec diver either.
If you've got a solid plan you start buying your stuff. Keep the end goal of it in mind. Check with your instructor or future instructor about stuff too. They can shed some light here too.

So a goal gives you a direction for training which gives you a direction to what gear you'll need.
Enjoy the diving and the people you'll discover.

scuba nick. when you double up tanks with a manifold of todays style ..... no matter what the manifold is under pressure. just because you turn off the tank valves dont think you can remove the crossover piece. you will have two tanks venting in the room and probably spinning on the floor. the twin tank set up has a special set of bands that hold tehtanks together then they BOLT on your back plate unlike what single tanks on a BP does.

Those manifolds from the tank out is ,,,,,,,,, thread crossover valve to reg port. in short between the tank and the tank valve is where the crossover is connected

So in case of redundancy, do you run two pressure guages then? Since each tank is isolated from eachother, how would you know how much pressure you have in one tank or in the other, or in both combined?

When i run doubles, I usually setup my first stages where one has my SPG and a console computer, the other first stage has the wireless sender for my wrist computer. I run redundant computers, and also prefer being able to see the tank pressures of both tanks. Helps in the event the isolation valve is closed, in the event of isolating and sharing air I can see how much they have left vs me. There's a multitude of reasons I do this. However I do know individuals who have a hose with an SPG on both second stages tucked between the hip and each tank, then also have a sender for their computer and those SPGs are there for redundancy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom