Questions about the C-5050

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DBailey

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Is the Olympus C-5050 a discontinued model?

Also, I see some places (online) that will sell a refurbished C-5050. Anyone ever buy a refurbished camera, and your opinions of it?

Yes it is. It's still a great camera though. You can still download manuals and such from the Olympus website - and they still support the camera under warranty. As to refurbished - I don't have one but I believe that they can be very good - I've seen it pointed out that a refurbished camera is simply a new one with any manufacturing glitches ironed out - a bit like a new car after it's first one month service! If anything happened to my 5050 I would definitely have no problem getting a refurbished replacement - presuming that it had SOME warranty.

DBailey:
Is the Olympus C-5050 a discontinued model?

Also, I see some places (online) that will sell a refurbished C-5050. Anyone ever buy a refurbished camera, and your opinions of it?

I love that its discontinued.

It means we can get the cheaper in the secondary markets (like eBay - where no less than 20 or more are sold every day) and through the refurbished channels - where I buy all my cameras.

Refurbs rock, and my feelings on eBay are widly known (no better place to shop for anything.)

Don't give it a second thought. These decisions (timing of making a product disco) are marketing and often political decisions within a manufacturer and are rarely a case of a unit being "inferior" or "flawed." They rushed the 5060 to market, and its simply not demonstrably better than the 5050...I'd take a 5050 for what we do (above and below water shooting) anyday.

Go treasure hunting and find a cheap 5050. I got another one recently for $412... DELIVERED. Ebay rules.

K

Was getting some prints made at my local photo shop the other day and met the Olympus Sale rep for our area. I asked If I need to worry about parts for the 5050 and the housing since it has been taken from the line. He said that it's not that way, that they are just "sold out". From what I understood to make the 1.8 lens was just so costly that they are leaving it at the sold out status and if they can get the lenses cheaper...who knows. To my other question he said I don't have to worry about getting a spare housing just yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom