Questions about Strobes for Monterey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zf2nt

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Recently my ancient DS50 strobe began misbehaving, and over a period of several days the misbehavior became more pronounced. Finally I found I had some salt water intrusion where the TTL cable connects to the strobe. I sent the strobe back to Ikelite for repair, and they pronounced it DOA. They're offering me the chance to buy a DS51 at dealer cost as a replacement, but I don't want a DS51. They're just too wimpy. If I were going to spring for a new strobe, I would get a DS160 instead. And no, Ikelite won't let me buy that at dealer cost!

Meanwhile, a few months ago I got a Light & Motion Sola 2000S/F to use for video. It's great, and I love it. Recently I've been playing with this thing for use in taking still images, and it seems to be adequate for the purpose. It's a pain having to turn it on and off, plus bump up the intensity of the flood, but at least I seem to be able to take decent stills with it. So now I wonder: what (besides the convenience of not having to turn it on and off) would a strobe really give me over this L&M unit? Should I just save the $950 a DS160 would cost me and use the Sola2000 instead?

I'm in the Caribbean right now (Little Cayman) and have been doing all my photography for the past few months in 200' of visibility with generally bright ambient light. But in another couple of weeks I'll be back in Monterey. And, as I recall, 200' visibility days are fairly rare there. Am I likely to be as happy with the Sola in Monterey or do I really need to spring for the strobe?

Bruce

The Sea&Sea YS-D1 will give you the best bang for the buck out of most strobes available right now.

Back
Top Bottom