Questions about shore dives - Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mistressmotorsports

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be in Maui beginning this Fri. My third trip, I just love it there in the winter with all the whales, etc. Staying in my timeshare in north Kaanapali. If I just rent some tanks, is there any reason my buddy and I can't just walk into the water off the hotel? Will the hotel guys be really pissed? Does it matter if they are? Same question if I want to do a night dive at Black Rock or similar? Do I need to rent a dive flag and anchor or tow it?

I have a couple days of diving booked with Ed Robinson. Also, I found out I can scuba off the Pride of Maui when the rest of the family is snorkeling at Molokini. Looking forward to a great week.

Thanks for any advice.

Mike

OK, I found the dive flag rules by searching. Duh on me, and sorry. I would still like to know if there are any issues diving off the hotels or timeshares without paying for the hotel guides? Thanks again.

Mike

All beaches are public in Hawaii; actually the shoreline from high water mark down is public. As long as you use a designated Beach Access path there should be no prob.

I've walked through resorts I wasn't staying in to dive, never a problem. At least not so far.

If you have a car, I'd highly recommend the Mala Wharf dive. It's my absolute favorite shore dive on Maui. I think there's a video description of it on the alohashoredivers.com site.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom