Questions about Scuba Mau, please...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, that's why I've never done VB wall from shore - and won't. Too much swimming for two lazy old farts. The shallow shore diving in that area can be fun, but boat dives are really worth the extra money to us.

thanks!
A variation I have used is to slip a boat captain a few bucks to drop us on the wall out front of La Ceiba on his way back to the Caleta. That way you get more time on the wall and the swim is one way. It is a dive for the more adventurous, though.

A variation I have used is to slip a boat captain a few bucks to drop us on the wall out front of La Ceiba on his way back to the Caleta. That way you get more time on the wall and the swim is one way. It is a dive for the more adventurous, though.
Yeah, drop-offs on the way back are an idea, done that in Roatan, but it'd be the third tank of a morning followed by a swim to shore under traffic, then crawl out and see where you landed, how difficult to get ashore from there, which way and how far to dock, etc. We really like a boat to follow us, pick us up, find us if we get lost, etc. I think we'll do lunch and consider an afternoon trip. :D

Yeah, drop-offs on the way back are an idea, done that in Roatan, but it'd be the third tank of a morning followed by a swim to shore under traffic, then crawl out and see where you landed, how difficult to get ashore from there, which way and how far to dock, etc. We really like a boat to follow us, pick us up, find us if we get lost, etc. I think we'll do lunch and consider an afternoon trip. :D
Well, like I said, it's a dive for the more adventurous. :D

FWIW, the boats sometimes hang around the BA dock until well into the afternoon before heading back to the Caleta. The last time we did that dive, I believe it was around 3PM. Plenty of time for lunch and a short siesta after the morning dives.

DD,

I enjoyed 23 dives with Scuba Mau in late June and early July and haven't had time to do a report yet....

They give you the option of 2 tanks at 8:30AM (which was always on time) or you can catch their 2 tanks at 1:30PM. Just always let them know at the shop window which time you want the next day. We were always on 1 of 3 boats for our dives while there. (Flying Fish, Gaviyota, and Alfa sorry about spelling) All 6 pack, fast boats with covers, with ladders and backward roll entries. I think all 3 of them had netting above your head for keeping shirts and hats dry, or you can put your drybag up in the front of the boat. FYI, no head and sometimes no bucket for cameras, but I'm positive that if you requested a camera bucket that they would make sure to arrange that when they are bringing your gear over each trip. The WHOLE crew at the shop and on your boats, bend over backwards with excellent customer service! 6 divers max was the most on any of our trips, sometimes it was only 4 when we picked the afternoon dive instead of AM :).
We were most impressed with the communication Opal gives before trips and how quickly everyone at the shop knows you by name after a day or 2. We really liked paying after my 23 dives were completed. We tipped each day so that my favorite DM could share it with who he needed to. Our gear was always well taken care of and on our boat waiting for us to board. After the first day, even the right weights were already in our pockets! What great service! Surface intervals were mostly spent tied up at docks where we could get off and get in the water or sit in the shade while enjoying fresh fruit and cold bottled water. Mango, cantelope, watermelon always seem so much sweeter on a dive boat for some reason!! :)
Matt and Itchy(sorry not sure of spelling) go above and beyond with behind the scenes things to make your diving so pleasurable. Mau and Opal have pulled together a great team to make their dive op soar to the top of our list of the many dive ops we've tried on the island. We wish them well as they continue to get their name out there. With Scuba Mau being located right beside Villa Blanca Hotel, I think you've picked a great hotel to try this trip. We've not stayed there yet. Be sure to look for the churros man that comes around each day with his big tupperware container with a big blue lid. His churros are delicious and so fresh. He offers chocolate filled or cream filled. Both are yummy and cheap! We enjoyed La Palapita's beachside pool, bar, swings, outside showers to rinse off, and bathrooms a lot. We also enjoyed eating at La Hach right there too after our night dives.
Just typing all of this is making me homesick for the island.... I hope some of this helps you as you prepare for your trip with Scuba Mau. Safe bubbles to you. I do have 1 picture of us going out on a night dive from their pier if you need to still see a picture of a boat. I didn't look at the previous posters link on facebook to know if you were able to see a boat, so let me know if you still need to see my one.

Take care and thanks for all your advise you provide here on SB about the island I love and miss and dream about so often!

Last edited:
Looks like fine boats and a larger crew than I was thinking. You remember how many divers max?

Don. The pictures may have been on a fishing tourney excursion for the staff (plus a few) at Scubamau. Not normally that many on the boat for diving.

From another happy diver that loves the times with scubamau..

Just dove with them today and we had four divers on board. All of the divers were experienced and one is a fellow SB member.

They offered Nitrox at a reasonable price, but no analyzer on the boat? You should probably have them analyzed at the shop.
I will keep the remainder of the comments until after I finish my week of diving.

Just dove with them today and we had four divers on board. All of the divers were experienced and one is a fellow SB member.

They offered Nitrox at a reasonable price, but no analyzer on the boat? You should probably have them analyzed at the shop.
I will keep the remainder of the comments until after I finish my week of diving.

Don, has his own I believe. You can request they have it aboard the boat or at least to check it before you leave the dock.

I have an O2 analyzer as well as my CO tester. I haven't always carried it on boats until we ended up on a boat without one once. Then my battery failed in Feb, no spares with me, so I finally replaced that, replaced old sensor, and carry spares now. It was a seldom used backup that I just didn't keep up, but do now and will take it, thanks.

I have seen divers use Nitrox, diving air settings without testing on a deep dive. :shakehead: Not me.
Don, has his own I believe.
Who told you? :shocked2:

It's good to take my own. They're still pricey even tho they have come down a lot, sensors are pricey, and you hope people treat them well when you put one on each boat, but I can see how it's difficult to keep those lined up along with all the required safety equipment and all - especially rental boats and skippers added for busier times. Not standard boat equipment, but then you need one - altho it's good to test and mark at the dock.

With the expense of dive gear, certifications, dive travel, etc., spending $200 on a nitrox analyzer wasn't that big a deal. When I got nitrox certified I just considered it a necessary part of my dive gear. I've never felt it's a dive operators responsibility to provide me with a tester. I want to dive it, it's my responsibility to check it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom