Questions about Kona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AZdiver1279

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hey AZ Divers - I'm re-posting this here, in the past I've posted questions about Kona and got a better response from AZ divers so I'm trying again- Perhpas some AZ divers have been to Kona recently or know of a good night spot as described below - Thanks!

Kona Diving and Night Spots (This was originally posted in O'hana divers forum - got a couple of good responses but would like to hear more)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Hawaii divers and those who have dived Kona recently-

We'll be in Kona from May 6th - 17th. We've never dived Kona before and are looking forward to our trip. We're especially looking forward to the Manta night dives and want to do it at least a few times.

I have a couple of last minute questions. I spoke to the dive shop a couple of weeks ago and they were telling me the bottom temp was around 73 degrees. Since then I've checked NODC latest readings and they're showing 79 degrees which I know is probably surface temp.

What type of bottom temps are you getting around Kona right now? I was told to bring my 5 mm but I'm wondering if it's warmed up enough to bring my 3/2 mm?

Also, has the vis been good?

Finally, I was wondering if anyone knows of or could recommend a good spot to kick back and listen to live blues or jazz and have a cold one at the end of the day.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

I just got back from Kona on 04/27/09. Dove with Kona Honu Divers. Nice people and really nice dive boats.

When I was there, the water temperature was a consistent 74 degrees. I didn't notice much variation at depth. People were diving in evreything from 3mm to 7mm with hoods. If you chill easily, I would strongly suggest a 7mm. Visibility was outstanding (at least 100').

The Manta Ray night dive is an experience of a lifetime. The evening we went, 23 rays showed up (the largest 16' from wing tip to wing tip). Kona Honu Divers offers a professionally done video of your dive for $75.00. We haven't received ours yet however, I've been told by others that it's well worth it.

As you may be aware, there is an area south of Kona commonly referred to as "two steps" (i.e the "Bay of Refuge"). They should really call it "one step and a slip". This is, without question, a great shore dive. Well worth your time and effort. Get there at a reasonable time in the morning and parking shouldn't be a problem.

As far as a brew stop, almost all of the bars on Ali'i Road, just south of Kona, have a happy hour. However, I would suggest LuLu's.

Regards, Bill

Last edited:
I dove last year at this time with a 3mm shorty - was "ok" but I would have prefered to be in a 3mm suit.

My 5-4 dives was 77 and 75.2 (pretty much even at depth)
5-5 dives was 77
5-6 dives were 77

We dove with a small operator called wanna dive kona - found them to be wonderful - and its a six person boat.

I just got back from Kona on 04/27/09. Dove with Kona Honu Divers. Nice people and really nice dive boats.

When I was there, the water temperature was a consistent 74 degrees. I didn't notice much variation at depth. People were diving in evreything from 3mm to 7mm with hoods. If you chill easily, I would strongly suggest a 7mm. Visibility was outstanding (at least 100').

The Manta Ray night dive is an experience of a lifetime. The evening we went, 23 rays showed up (the largest 16' from wing tip to wing tip). Kona Honu Divers offers a professionally done video of your dive for $75.00. We haven't received ours yet however, I've been told by others that it's well worth it.

As you may be aware, there is an area south of Kona commonly referred to as "two steps" (i.e the "Bay of Refuge"). They should really call it "one step and a slip". This is, without question, a great shore dive. Well worth your time and effort. Get there at a reasonable time in the morning and parking shouldn't be a problem.

As far as a brew stop, almost all of the bars on Ali'i Road, just south of Kona, have a happy hour. However, I would suggest LuLu's.

Regards, Bill
PhxSki -

Thanks for the good info!

We'll be diving with the same operator, our first scheduled dive is Thursday night Manta Dive.

Take care!

Back
Top Bottom