Questions About Fitting Scubapro Frameless Mask.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I was curious to see if anyone has the Scubapro frameless mask and how they like the fitting of the mask? I recently acquired one of these masks but can't seem to get it to stay suctioned to my face. The mask feels comfortable and there is no air coming in (creates a vacuum) but the skirt seams fairly rigid and I cannot get it to stay on just by sucking in through my nose. When I put the mask on with the strap, it feels like there is a good seal but I am worried because it failed the suction test. It's still fairly cold here in New England so I am not able to test the mask before going on vacation to Curacao next month.

I'm hoping someone had a similar problem with it not staying suctioned to their face but didn't have it leak while diving. Is this just the way it was designed or is the mask going to leak because it does not stay suctioned to my face?

Does the Scubapro Frameless Gorilla version have a better seal because of the larger skirt?

Thanks for any input, it's greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
I had one that I thought fit but the skirt was a little too wide for my face. It should stay on via inhalation without the strap.
Put it on without the strap, hold it on with your finger @ the bridge of your nose and exhale through your nose. If the air escapes from the sides, it is probably too wide.

If you can't get a seal on the surface take it back. Find one that fits. I have had zero luck with masks that did not or kinda fit on the surface hoping they'd be ok in the water. None ever were. That's out of about two dozen different models.

That's what I meant.

Last edited:
I guess I was hoping the opposite would be true because I really like the field of view of this mask! I'm also looking at Hollis and Atomic aquatics. Can you recommend a low volume, frameless. that has a similar single lens view?

Thanks for your invaluable input!

I guess I was hoping the opposite would be true because I really like the field of view of this mask!

That's EXACTLY what happened to me. I kept clearing and clearing, thinking the leak was due to poor technique. I finally switched (happily) to an Atomic Frameless.

That's EXACTLY what happened to me. I kept clearing and clearing, thinking the leak was due to poor technique. I finally switched (happily) to an Atomic Frameless.

Yea, that's never fun. I've had a few instances where I had to manage the mask the entire time on a dive. I can't use dual lens frames with a bridge at the top of the nose because it just jams into my forehead and it's pretty painful. So the whole time i'd have to pull the mask slightly with one hand to relieve the pressure. I have another pair of Tri-view but they leak sometimes and I think I prefer not to have the side windows.

Looks like I'm getting a pair of Atomics! Thanks for the info!

No, No, NO! You DON'T suction it to your face. You can get almost ANY mask to fit........temporarily.....by doing that. In the water it will likely leak. You don't shop a mask for features first and fit second. You shop FIT FIRST, features second. To do otherwise is to risk leaky masks and miserable dives.

This is how you fit a mast properly. Seems 80% of divers and shop personnel don't seem to know this. Sad, really.
Mask Fitting | Carib Inn

I'm familiar with how to fit a mask in the most ideal conditions. 6/7 masks I've used have all passed the suction test and never leaked.
Sadly I don't have the luxury of shopping around dive shops and testing masks and will most likely have to buy online.

Thanks for your input.

Looks like I'm getting a pair of Atomics! Thanks for the info!

I also like the Hollis one. The rubber is less supple, but that makes it less finicky to put back on under water.

Here's a mask I have two of for less finicky back-ups to my Atomics;
  • UltraClear Iron-free glass
  • Soft silicone body with a double silicone face skirt
  • Single lens frameless design with wide angle of vision
  • Fits most standard-to-wide faces
  • Excellent Price! Excellent Quality!
wow-50.png

top_sell.png

$24.95
IN STOCK

ORDER WITHIN 3HRS:25MINS TO SHIP TODAY
8 Reviews