Questions about first set of gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think heavy boots would cause you to overheat, but for tropical diving I much prefer 3mm myself. Feel more like bedroom slippers. Just as long as they work with your fins.

I definitely wouldn't suggest an actual hood, it's rare to see someone wearing one in the tropics even doing 3-4 dives a day. It's much more comfortable to dive without that neoprene around your face and neck. But some people wear beanies, they help you keep warm and can also be useful to control hair and keep it out of your mask. Sometimes these are called hoodies, they're pretty much a bathing cap shape made of neoprene, with a chin strap.

If you can afford the computer I would get it, I wouldn't call it 'safer' but it's nice to have for the reasons you mention even though it may not give you much bottom time advantage for 1-2 dives per day. (How long, how deep, are they multilevel?)

It's hard for someone else to guess what you will need to wear. But given what you say about your temperatures and not getting cold I'd be inclined to not overdo it. Certainly no more than 3mm. (Full suit is better than a shorty for protection, don't know which you had in mind.) Personally I use a 1mm full and a have a vest in case I need more, but I rarely wear it.

Will let you know on the VEO 180NX in a few days....bought my 1st computer(the VEO 180) a month ago, have over 700 dives without one...will be using it starting Wed on CZM........

swimmergrl:
Hey all!

Sorry I didn't include more info about where I will be diving. I'm volunteering as part of a research program on the Yucatan Peninsula, about an hour south of Tulum. I'm finishing my initial training in the states, and then I will go through the PADI advanced open water the first week down there. We'll be doing reef surveys, monitoring some turtle activity, etc. I'll be there from early May to late June, so the water should be pretty warm. I assume most of the diving will be from one of their small boats, but the training will probably be a beach entry.

My reasoning for getting a basic computer is as a backup. Something that can record the dive profile if I forget to check max depth, reminders for the 15' stop. The only diving I'll be able to do before I go down there are my certification dives, and I'll need to rent all my thermal gear for those dives because it will be really cold! I'm still in college, and it'll be a couple years at least before I graduate (changed my major) and with the closest diving 4+ hours away, I won't be doing much diving for the next couple of years. If I ever get to technical diving, it will be years from now, and I'll probably need a new computer anyway! :)

As for a suit, did you mean get a 5mm suit or 5mm boots? I don't really get cold very easily. I know probably hear this alot from new divers and I know water cools you down much faster than air, thats why sweating works, after all! But the area I live in is not tropical, at all! This winter it got down to -15 F including windchill. This summer, the temps will probably peak between 100 -110 F. I has changed 40+ degrees within one day. (It did that last week) I'm not used to swimming in warm, balmy waters. It tends to suprise me when I get into warm water, because I always expect it to be a little chilly!

Knowing that, should I still get 5mm boots? The survey stuff will involve some activity, and I don't want to overheat because my boots are too heavy. Maybe I'll just have to see the light for myself, but a hood sounds like overkill to me for that area. We'll only be doing 1-2 dives a day.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I won't have much opportunity to buy stuff down there should I realize it would work better, so I need to take what I can! Anybody have any more suggestions with this new info?

Thanks again!

Rachel

Rachel,

Judging from what you just said and since, I have no experience around Tulum I would prefer to be safe than sorry with regards to exposure suits. You could get away with 3mm suits when the water's warm but when it does turn chilly you could get cold fast n that's not good at all.

Dont worry bout being too warm as you could always let some water into the suit. My 2 cents of advice would be to get a full 3mm suit but have 5mm boots and gloves. You could also get a 3mm hooded vest as it will give you some added warmth should you need it.

If you have a pretty standard body shape & want something reasonable, check them out, I much rather get my own wetsuit as I really hate to think of using something someone has pee into LOL!

Their suits are really reasonable but you get what you paid for.

For a computer you could get away with borrowing one as it's unlikely you use if often enough to warrant a purchase now.

The rest of the stuff is cheap enough that it would be a issue.

SangP

Alot of people over look boots but just think unless you have different thicknesses and different heights ... you'd be wise to pick a pair that feels good, fits excellent. If I had only one set of boots I opt for a tall pair and maybe one a little warmer. A boot thats to lose are to snug and too cold is a lousy thing to wear.

Try to by a computer to not just fit your needs right now but in the future too. I'm not saying you need a Dive Rite tri-mix are a Cochran tri-mix, but something you will be interested in the future. If you look at a Veo 180 whats the difference compared to say a 250. What's the difference in the price ... what I'm saying be an informed diver. Narrow it down in price from the net shops to your local shops. When you buy tell the shop your in school need money to eat (just kidding) and you can by it far X dollars can they possibly help you? You'll see they want to make a sale and gain a customer.

Back
Top Bottom