Questions about first set of gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swimmergrl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi all!

Well, I'm almost done with my Naui Scuba certification course, and am realizing that I have found yet another addiction! :wink: I've got some of my basic gear, and after looking it all over, I'm wondering about upgrading some things.

For dive boots, I have a pair of ankle high Deep See 3/5mm sole boots, but I don't think they fill up the foot pocket of my fins enough. They've got a moulded sole on them, but I can fold them in half. I would prefer a pair the could also double as a shoe for between dives, etc. Any suggestions? I'd like to keep the price under $50, if possible. I've been looking at the Henderson 3mm gold short boot and the 2mm one with the octopus on the bottom. Are there other comparable ones?

Computer- We will be doing alot of diving, and we have to plan them all out and go by the PADI dive tables, so they don't require a computer, but it would be safer to have one. Does anybody have the Oceanic Veo 180? Any recomendations for other computers that are below $300?

Here is the scuba stuff I'm taking. Have I forgotten anything, or is there something that isn't obvious at first, but will make a big difference once I can't get it?
Scuba stuff I'm taking:
3mm wetsuit, dive skin, dive knife, dive light, fins, boots, mask, snorkel, save a dive kit.

I don't need my own regulator, tanks, etc. because the group we'll be doing the research for supplies all of that. They wouldn't be able to service any personal gear, and we'll be far away from a shop that can, so I'm going to stick with their stuff.

Thanks in advance!

Rachel

Rachel,

It would be better if you could give more info about the type of diving you'll be doing, boat, beach entry, live on board etc etc.

Second, dive gear aren't good dual purpose gear. Get a proper dive boot with a retention nub at the back like this, so you you won't loose your fin if you start using spring straps. Your feet and and hands usually get cold faster than the rest of you so get 5mm if possible. Then get a cheap walkabout shoe.

As for knives, you could go DIY and just get a stainless steel steak knife or get something like this.

As for computers that depends of what level of diving would you be hoping to do as there's no point to get a basic computer when you know you'll be doing tech someday. Get something that can grow with you diving.

SangP

Hi Rachel,

I agree that more info would be good. You seem to have a unique opportunity and your intentions of buying a 3mm suit suggest tropical research but is it going to be boat and or shore based? Depths and dives per day?

There are booties that offer more bottom side protection in including the Deep See "Safe Sole". In general I would get more time in what you have while you invest in new items. If the fit in loose to the point of being unsafe then take action of course. You may like to add a pair of neoprene socks to firm up the boot fit.

Understand what a computer will be doing for you. It will determine a real time profile that allows you to stay down longer than a square profile table derived dive plan. In other words, it will not really be any safer. Depending on the depths and your air usage it may provide no real benefit. This may be very true if you are diving as a team and all get in and out together or at least as buddy pairs.

With any intensity you will cool down. A hood or beanie can preserve a lot of body heat.

Pete

if i was to get springs on my apollo bio fins would i have to get the boots with the nub?

thanks

snorkl,

That really depends as I have used my jets with springs with a nubless boot, however my springs have a rubber handle which makes it more difficult to come loose.

Should you get springs, it might be preferable to get a boot with a nub just in case. You don't want to loose a $150 fin LOL!

SangP

Hey all!

Sorry I didn't include more info about where I will be diving. I'm volunteering as part of a research program on the Yucatan Peninsula, about an hour south of Tulum. I'm finishing my initial training in the states, and then I will go through the PADI advanced open water the first week down there. We'll be doing reef surveys, monitoring some turtle activity, etc. I'll be there from early May to late June, so the water should be pretty warm. I assume most of the diving will be from one of their small boats, but the training will probably be a beach entry.

My reasoning for getting a basic computer is as a backup. Something that can record the dive profile if I forget to check max depth, reminders for the 15' stop. The only diving I'll be able to do before I go down there are my certification dives, and I'll need to rent all my thermal gear for those dives because it will be really cold! I'm still in college, and it'll be a couple years at least before I graduate (changed my major) and with the closest diving 4+ hours away, I won't be doing much diving for the next couple of years. If I ever get to technical diving, it will be years from now, and I'll probably need a new computer anyway! :)

As for a suit, did you mean get a 5mm suit or 5mm boots? I don't really get cold very easily. I know probably hear this alot from new divers and I know water cools you down much faster than air, thats why sweating works, after all! But the area I live in is not tropical, at all! This winter it got down to -15 F including windchill. This summer, the temps will probably peak between 100 -110 F. I has changed 40+ degrees within one day. (It did that last week) I'm not used to swimming in warm, balmy waters. It tends to suprise me when I get into warm water, because I always expect it to be a little chilly!

Knowing that, should I still get 5mm boots? The survey stuff will involve some activity, and I don't want to overheat because my boots are too heavy. Maybe I'll just have to see the light for myself, but a hood sounds like overkill to me for that area. We'll only be doing 1-2 dives a day.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I won't have much opportunity to buy stuff down there should I realize it would work better, so I need to take what I can! Anybody have any more suggestions with this new info?

Thanks again!

Rachel

Henderson Gold Core rocks. Excellent boots. I would go with the 5mm or7mm. (I wear the 7mm to Cozumel, Roatan Bonaire etc). I also wear a 3mm wetsuit in these locations. I would not worry about overheating (in the water) in a 3mm wetsuit and 5 or 7mm boots. Unless the water temp is 98.6, you are losing body heat. This translates to increased air consumption and energy loss after multiple dives.
Oceanic 180 is a good budget computer.

If you do NOTHING else...definitely get a computer. It's going to give you real time information on your depth/time/deco. Following the tables in theory works, but not so much in real life.

The Veo is a good computer. Whichever you get, spend some time with it...going through different scenarios so that you understand (with the instruction book in front of you) how to locate the information in the computer and how to change settings (should you go to Nitrox someday).

If you've got a local dive shop...I'd recommend getting the computer there. You may pay a bit more (but usually they are competitive with internet pricing if given the opportunity) but you'll get the service of how to use your computer from someone who can take you through it easily. (I know, hard to believe, but not all technical instruction manuals are user friendly...)

I dive tropical water also and prefer a 5mm boot because they feel more substancial and I feel they may last a bit longer.

I think you should wait on the computer. If you are doing shallow reef dives and are a new diver the chances are that your air consumption will limit you more than your no deco limits. If you are diving deeper I would suggest planing your dives and using the tables. Buy a slate instead. Dive shops want to sell you a computer and tell you they are a "must" but they really are not.

Please see: http://www.divetekadventures.com/Technical_BakersDozenNoComputer.htm

swimmergrl:
I'm volunteering as part of a research program on the Yucatan Peninsula, about an hour south of Tulum.

As for a suit, did you mean get a 5mm suit or 5mm boots? I don't really get cold very easily.

As for the knife, consider scissors. They cut fishing line easily, where a knife can sometimes pull more line towards you as you try to draw it taught.

I've used a 7mm suit with integrated hood in 70-75F water, although I did have 3mm boots and no gloves. I spend about 2-3 hours in 83F water once a week in a 3mm shorty. By the end of that I'm freezing by buns off. In 85F water with 85-90F surface temps I was diving in just a skin without feeling cold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom