Questions about Dual bladder wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree, you said it was stupid, the description clearly explains how testosterone and pride (rather than buoyancy problems) nearly did you in..I was just amazed that somebody thought it was scary..

Some day, I will tell about a solo wreck penetration dive that required the removal of my tank, inversion and then sliding deep into a crack in a wreck, all to get a $22 shaft back...I got stuck for a little while on that dive while holding my breath. I learn the hard way too... My weight belt is much cleaner now...
I could definitely see reading the event as being scary....the only reason it was not for me, was that I had put myself to a mission, and was working only on completing it. There was no room for thoughts about being scared--only about how to optimize efficiency in order to make it to the surface. I do remember considering the dumping of gear, but also remember that I had enough air left to have gone to a plan b, had my attempt to reach the surface failed. But the air supply would not have left much margin for the dump and probable free ascent. As you know, all you think about is--do this, then do that, if that does not work-try this, etc.

There is also the testosterone element, where you don't really have enough sense to be scared in a high energy scenario. I saw a pit bull once that saw a big dumptruck with monster tires ride on to it's lawn...so the dog went into attack mode, ran up to the monster truck, bit down on a tire, and then went round and round on the tire for about 30 feet till the driver got the truck stopped.
There was no fear in this dog, and no thought either--just a mission that had to be completed :)

No, unless you have goober gear :wink:

---------- Post added February 11th, 2013 at 05:21 AM ----------

The wing needs to be big enough to float the rig without a person in it. Water in water is neutral, so a flooded drysuit shouldn't sink you unless the wing was too small.

All these puzzle pieces need to be in order. If not, it's a total crapshoot, unfortunately.

---------- Post added February 11th, 2013 at 05:36 AM ----------

The wing needs to be big enough to float the rig without a person in it. Water in water is neutral, so a flooded drysuit shouldn't sink you unless the wing was too small.

All these puzzle pieces need to be in order. If not, it's a total crapshoot, unfortunately.

Yes, water is neutral, but air is positive and lead is negative, so when the air goes, you're heavy. It was a New Years dive in Scotland, so she had more padding underneath, and more lead to sink it. It was a single steel. 30lbs is usually enough, but hey she was ok.

Yes, water is neutral, but air is positive and lead is negative, so when the air goes, you're heavy. It was a New Years dive in Scotland, so she had more padding underneath, and more lead to sink it. It was a single steel. 30lbs is usually enough, but hey she was ok.

I think AJ already covered that :)

My damn "enter" button isn't working, so I will try the space bar to keep this readable. I use a dual bladder wing. I am not diving a drysuit in South Florida in the summer, end of discussion with that. I only have one LP inflator on the rig. The backup inflator simply hangs there, held in place same as the primary with nothing attached. If I jump off the boat with a messed up wing with no air, then I am a dip**** and deserve to sink rather quickly.... still not the end of the world. I dive HP 100's and can rather easily dump all air from the primary on the bottom and blow gas into the secondary to get myself neutral. It is not difficult. As far a losing the primary on a deco stop, my deco stops are spent either hanging on the anchor line or hanging below a SMB/Lift bag.... in which case I have at least 15 pounds of lift pulling on me if needed.

..... Andre Smith, in the Divers Supply Tripple Death Tragedy some maybe remember reading about in the late 90's.

I am curious about one possible sollution to that (without having backup for buoyancy). If you cut a small hole in your wetsuit and let air in from the regulator, together with assuming a horisontal position, would that help in gaining neutral or positive buoyancy? If it works, of course it can transform you in a rocket but I assume this is better than death...

I am curious about one possible sollution to that (without having backup for buoyancy). If you cut a small hole in your wetsuit and let air in from the regulator, together with assuming a horisontal position, would that help in gaining neutral or positive buoyancy? If it works, of course it can transform you in a rocket but I assume this is better than death...

The best solution is to NEVER jump in the ocean knowing that you are going to be like a hard hat diver with nothing to get them to the surface, if your BC fails...
I don't have a valid excuse for being so heavy that I can't swim up to the surface from the bottom point in the dive, with ease, without use of a wing or BC. The BC cant be your elevator.
With that said.....could you gain lift by blowing air into your wetsuit? Probably, but the lift control would be poor, either not enough, or way too much....I would not go down with this being my PLAN B :)
An inflatable SMB with a auto purge is better...and still not the right plan B.
You should ALWAYS have a buddy--and they have a functioning wing or BC....so that is a better plan B......for each of you....and again, neither should be too heavy to swim up.

A dry suit can be a plan b, though a poor one, it is better than the wetsuit or SMB, when air is blown into it for lift.

Does this help:) ?

Yes, thank you. This idea was just to evaluate if such a sollution would have saved those guys in that particular accident.

Yes, thank you. This idea was just to evaluate if such a sollution would have saved those guys in that particular accident.
My guess is that they were narced from deep air, in not really able to think through a problem like this--to find a solution beyond pressing the BC inflator.

Andre did try to use a lift bag, but it took off and got away from him, and after rising 50 feet it ripped out of his gtrip

Avoid using an smb for lift. The purge valve is on the bottom! The air fill hole is tiny. The length is awkward. I practice using a 50 lb lift bag and carry that when I am not using my dual bladder wing. The lift bag has the purge on top but is still difficult to control. The lift bag is MUCH faster to deploy and inflate if you are in a freefall.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

I started my Padi Tech 40 class and the instructor told me i need to purchase a dual bladder wing.

Another reason to avoid PADI for any technical diving.

I recommend that you find a real technical diving instructor, not associated with PADI.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom