Questions about choosing a Raja Ampat liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Windy, Komodo is crowded from the water, while underwater or on the sirface.
Well, tourism sucks. The tourists want the authentic, non touristy places and so places like RA, Komodo and PNG are doomed by their own attempts to be non touristy.

Places like Cozumel and the Red Sea have no hope of recovering. They are too popular and accessible, tyrannical governments sometimes help a bit.

I dislike the bucket list mentality, especially wrt diving. Diving doesn’t have to be “the best”, diving is pretty good to start with.

It is possibly too late, but we should all be concentrating on improving or preserving our local eco systems rather than looking at the ones that happen to not have been completely trashed yet.

I actually don't have a bucket list mentality @ken, I have a geographical stroke of good fortune, a diving father who dragged me 1700km north several times a year so he could dive Ningaloo and a lust for the path less trodden or less finned, be it diving or topside.
Having sailed for over thirty years has also given me a chance to visit places like PNG and specks of land still unnamed and who knows..possibly still un dived.
What other peoples bucket lists have done is given me a good idea of what I am not interested in. Cozumel and the Caribbean are not on my radar...too many people not enough fish...and I do watch a lot of clips on these destinations so I have an idea of what is on offer.
I totally agree re mass tourism and feel quite happy that PNG is decades off it if at all.
Re Komodo - hit it early, hit it at the right time, do a bit of Blackwater diving and never tell anybody what we were looking for and where :wink:
There may be more than just dragons around.

Well, tourism sucks. The tourists want the authentic, non touristy places and so places like RA, Komodo and PNG are doomed by their own attempts to be non touristy.
I don't think PNG attempts to be non-touristy, it just has always 'been there' for those who like to dive in more off-the-track locations... and willing to pay a premium. None of the resorts or LOB's are budget level... personally I'd rather save up and dive less often in more amazing remote locations like PNG or the Solomons.
PNG still feels very raw and unexplored... for example the Zero fighter at Kimbe was only discovered in 2000!
What other WWII gems are still out there waiting patiently? Part of the attraction for me at least...
The Kimbe Bay Zero Wreck - a Real Gem | Indopacificimages
The Complete Guide to the B-17F Black Jack WWII Wreck
Pacific Wrecks
Pacific Wrecks - Papua New Guinea Warning on Live Bombs
Scuba Diving in Kimbe Bay

Last edited:
:(

You guys are gonna have to go without me cause while I’m doing my darndest to catch up, apparently my next destination is supposed to be the Red Sea...according to Plan A above.

How about the Philippines? I haven't been to either the Phils or RA, but they seem to get similarly impressive reviews.

How about the Philippines? I haven't been to either the Phils or RA, but they seem to get similarly impressive reviews.

I’ve already put down a deposit for Tubbataha for 2020 with an LDS. I’m itching to book something for 2019 though.

I've been to Tubbataha, Coron, El Nido, and Puerto Galera in the Philippines as well as Komodo, Lembeh, and Raja Ampat in Indonesia. Overall, I would still rate those places over the Philippines though a more fair comparison to Lembeh would probably be Romblon or Anilao which I haven't been to...yet! Density and diversity is not as great in Tubs as it is in RA. Jessie Beazley, which I thought was the highlight of Tubs, is quite close to Raja, but you still don't get the density and colors, especially the soft coral, that I saw in RA along with the walls of fish and variety. Whale sharks in Tubs are quite the highlight as are white tip and grey reef sharks - you couldn't go on a dive without seeing many of them. The other atolls at Tubs were good but I would still rate Komodo better as far as corals, color, density, variety. Puerto Galera has good macro, reef, and large fish, but no sharks at all in the 20+ dives I had there and hardly a ray. Mantas are abundant in Komodo and RA depending on the season and many sharks, including the Wobbies in RA.

Pros and cons to each but they are all worth diving. Do I regret going to the Phils? Absolutely not. I'm going back next year to check out Anilao and the Visayas region. Would I return to Tubs, PG, Coron, El Nido? Probably, but I would return to Raja Ampat and Komodo first, etc.

I’ve already put down a deposit for Tubbataha for 2020 with an LDS. I’m itching to book something for 2019 though.

Fantastic! Which operator is your LDS going with that you have put a deposit down for?

I dislike the bucket list mentality, especially wrt diving. Diving doesn’t have to be “the best”, diving is pretty good to start with.

It is possibly too late, but we should all be concentrating on improving or preserving our local eco systems rather than looking at the ones that happen to not have been completely trashed yet.

I guess to each their own and the "best" and "pretty good" is relative...I agree with preserving local ecosystems and all ecosystems, for that matter. However, the local diving (California) fails to evoke the excitement that the coral triangle does for me. For the most part, I don't dive locally just for the sake of diving or for fun because of it. It's cold, it's quite far and given the effort/time/hassle, the visibility and required gear along with what there is to see has me wanting more. My "life list" includes places that I absolutely want to dive during my dive career and any place that I go back to again is because it was very good to me and I really enjoyed it.

Fantastic! Which operator is your LDS going with that you have put a deposit down for?

7 nights on Atlantis Azores liveaboard and 4 nights at Atlantis Puerto Galera Resort. Flights to Manila/Puerto Galera are easy compared to Sorong. Toronto has a direct flight to Manila. Not sure how people usually get to Puerto Galera, by land or by air.

Honestly, if it was easier and cheaper to get to Indonesia, I’d go in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
7 nights on Atlantis Azores liveaboard and 4 nights at Atlantis Puerto Galera Resort. Flights to Manila/Puerto Galera are easy compared to Sorong. Toronto has a direct flight to Manila. Not sure how people usually get to Puerto Galera, by land or air.

To get to PG, you fly into Manila, then transfer by car/van/bus (private or public) to Batangas area. You board a public ferry or you have a private charter bangka to take you to the resort or public pier in PG.

I think you will enjoy the Azores! Any option to extend the diving for more than 4 nights at PG for land based diving? I think you will want more......We wanted more when we were in PG for 6 nights. :D

To get to PG, you fly into Manila, then transfer by car/van/bus (private or public) to Batangas area. You board a public ferry or you have a private charter bangka to take you to the resort or public pier in PG.

I think you will enjoy the Azores! Any option to extend the diving for more than 4 nights at PG for land based diving? I think you will want more......We wanted more when we were in PG for 6 nights. :D

We’re responsible for our own flights to/from Manila so I’m sure it’s possible to extend our stay at Puerto Galera if we wanted to! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom