Questions about choosing a Raja Ampat liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where does the trash come from? Good question - everywhere...

So where does it come from? Us.

It comes from people like this. Look at all that plastic! That guy can be really ... oooof...I don't know....
Plastic.JPG

But at least it is not single-use plastic, and it looks like it's actually in current use and it looks like I have a reasonable expectation that it won't just get thrown in the ocean. Am I living a pipe dream?

But at least it is not single-use plastic, and it looks like it's actually in current use and it looks like I have a reasonable expectation that it won't just get thrown in the ocean. Am I living a pipe dream?

The amount of single-use plastic on the way we all get here (airlines) is appalling!

For now, we need to make sure to recycle the empty plastic containers. I carry reusable travel shampoo bottle and refill it before the trip. If they are not refillable, I take empty bottles back home & recycle them. At home, the city recycling employees pick up plastic & paper recycle every Thursday.

I just saw the other day info from a local very active town recycling commission about how recycling is getting more challenging for them. A lot goes to China, and China is cracking down on what they will accept. They had a pointer to this article but if you google "china aspirational recycling" you'll find a bunch more. (Aspirational recycling is basically feeling good about throwing things in your recycling bin that you hope are recyclable, but may not be.) Some places apparently a lot of collected "recycling" is ending up in the dump anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom