Questions about building my own spool.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not sure what Delrin is?? Its a very flexable plastic material best I can tell. Wont break if dropped or you sit on it or lay your gear on it. I wouldnt test it by dropping a tank on it but it seems very strong none the less. I do not know how much line came on it I have only used mine a few times to practice shooting a SMB in the local water hole but there is more then 40 ft of line on it. and Plenty of room if you wanted to respool your own. I hope this helps

Delrin is a plastic, that has good impact, and elongation.
It is an acetal.

Two common brands of acetal are Dupont's Delrin
and Celanese's Celcon.

Mike D

I tried to find out what type of material the AUL spools were made of and they weren't very liberal with their information. "Plastic" was the extend of their answer to my question "What type of material is the spool made of". The last email, "What type of plastic" went unanswered. Plus, their shipping/handling charges are fairly high and it comes with a brass snap. UPS ground is $10, UPS 3-day $15, and UPS red $20. Its probably not delrin based on the cost - not that there is anything wrong with that as long as it will stand up to light abuse (dropping ... dropping something on it :)

I think Canandian Extreme's delrin spools with SS snap is the better deal IMO.

BTW - Delrin is not UV stabilized so don't leave it out in the sun AFAIK.

Regardless of their material (I was told it is Delrin) they are
meant as "throw away" spools (according to AUL) and are
not meant to take much abuse. Additionally, the double-ender
provided by AUL was (on mine) a rather unimpressive brass
rather than robust stainless.

:wacko:

I got myself some delrin so I'll see how they turn out. Wish me luck :)

Please try not to do these things yourself. No it is not rocket science, and if you are competent in machining and so forth you can most likely do it, but the designs, material and craftmanship from the Halcyon reels is excellent. They are not expensive, nor hard to get. This is more than equipment, it is life support. Even if the chances of something going wrong are remote, just utilize the expertise of the people who have found out the hard way and get the right stuff from the beginning. Doing it Your way is how people get killed.

Your life is not worth saving a few bucks....

Please do not waste your time & money trying to make your own equipment. A simple kite reel brought from any outlet of Toys'r'Us can hold more than enough line to make an efficient gap or emergency reel.

Duncan

Where's the fun in buying one when you can make them yourself? :)

Often its cheaper to buy something rather than fabricating it yourself since the R&D is already done. However, I enjoy fabrication and have enough experience to feel comfortable with my designs and fabrication skills. Its the challenge and excitement of building/fabricating that lures me to making my own spool/reels, not the few dollars that I may save. Its another hobby where I spend too much money :) Anyway, I don't see how a spool made from solid delrin rod will fail over a cheap flexible plastic type from Toys'R Us.

And as the above posts mention, it would certainly be safer to purchase SCUBA equipment if you question your skill level in fabricating your own.

From the inception of Scuba, and Skindiving for that matter, this has always been a DIY sport/ hobby. The first tanks sport divers used were CO2 extinguisher bottles, and masks were hand carved from teak (something I always wanted to try). All the DIR peeps out there DIY it too. Or do you buy those surgical tubing neck ties and bungee heel straps....and how about those doubled up'd burst disks??? Thats not dandgerous at all. It would be one thing if someone was trying to machine their own custom first stage, but a reel? Come on. This is a sport. Anyone who is at the level of Tech (real technical, not the wanna's) would never use custom gear and would never look at this board and respond so negatively. Some of my best friends are DIR, Deep Cave, Tri mixed, and Instructors to boot, and they never bash the DIY stuff. They react like most of us do, "how cool" or "wow thats pretty crappy". I dont think you could ever really get to the upper tiers of diving unless you go thru the DIY stage at least a little....so what is up with you Mr DIR Tech Diver??? You own a shop and scared of the competition?
:spaninq:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom