Questions about Bohio and Grand Turk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"I think it was just bad luck ... wrong place at the wrong time."]]]]saholz

I think that's correct. A place can change from month to month and season to season. Some people don't travel much and as a consequence might be a bit more tolerant about a places shortcomings. Some people that travel a great deal might be a bit fussy, or expect too much. My needs are kind of simple, clean, quiet and safe, and good diving. I will say though, if you charge a premium then misstate the facts, and not deliver, people should hear about it. You should deliver something that is a bit more than standard, if you state the place is more than standard.

Look for a pattern from a number of sources. If you keep seeing the same complaint from different sources, chances are it's accurate. I think you will be fine because you've done your research and know what to expect.

With your large group, given enough advance notice, you could have stayed with Colin at Island House. The apartments are terrific and come with their own pickup truck or other vehicle to go roaming with. The island is not big, but there was still plenty of places to poke around.
The Bohio was being built when I was there - it's way past where even the Haitians live.

Tom Winters:
With your large group, given enough advance notice, you could have stayed with Colin at Island House. The apartments are terrific and come with their own pickup truck or other vehicle to go roaming with. The island is not big, but there was still plenty of places to poke around.
The Bohio was being built when I was there - it's way past where even the Haitians live.
We considered it, believe me. One of the "absolutes" however, was a nice beach. Bohio won out because of its beach and on site dive op. Also, Kelly from the Bohio, was the only person to research the tennis court situation for us. She actually made some phone calls and found out the condition, location, and availability of the lone court. It seems like a small thing, but I was impressed that she took the time to get the information. No one else did this, in fact some places never even replied to my emails.

Again, in my research, all the hotels get reasonably positive feedback, as do the dive ops. It came down to finding the place that best suited the needs of 12 different people who dive, snorkel, play tennis, and love to lay on the beach in February when our home states are all frozen solid. It's always a calculated risk, but I think I got this one right. At least I hope I do.

Stan

I did just get a long email from the Bohio concerning the complaints that were brought up. I don't want to go into details, but the circumstances were indeed unusual. There was a lost luggage issue as well as some other problems involving the couple which may have made this stay less than ideal. There was also, as had been suspected, an expectation of a 4 or 5 star resort when, in fact, the Bohio is more like a 3 star resort. The trash around the island issues mentioned are openly acknowledged by the Bohio, but it's beyond their control and there isn't much they can do about it. Within the context of other Caribbean islands, it's probably no better or worse than most.

So, all I can do now is wait for February to come around and head off to the Bohio. I expect my friends and I will have a great dive vacation, I'll take lots of pictures both above and below the water, and I'll be able to bore many people with a long trip report. Thanks again to all for the many comments.
roatanstandivingSmall.jpg

I have eaten at the Bohio resturant on a couple of occasions and liked it well enough. I also liked the food at the Salt Raker and at the Ospry. I did the shore dive from the Bohio last trip with their scooters (make sure they fully charge them, tell them the night before...mine gave out at the wall and I had to bounce it back (whiz along for a bit, lug it, whiz along for a bit, etc) ) It was less for two-tanks, and two scooters than for a boat dive. However, the wall is about 300-400 yards out.

Go to have a relaxed time and you will. Go down to the big store (I forget it's name right now) and stock up the first day, maybe even on the way in from the airport and you will be fine.

I have dove with Blue Water, Oasis and Sea-Eye, all are fine.

The night dives I went on there we always saw a good bit of life. More small life on the northern sites, right up from Bohio!

I would post some pictures but the site isn't accepting them yet...

Mike

I was in Grand Turk in April, I used Osprey Beach Hotel/Oasis divers. I did eat one night at Bohio. The food was not worth the price, but frankly nothing on the island is - with the possible exception of Mookie Pookie Pizza.

Like the couple who left Bohio, my wife and I also had luggage issues and it does put you in a bad mood. Speaking of which, make sure everyone has their vital dive stuff in their carry-on, it can take a couple of days for luggage to make it if there's a problem. But, as others have mentioned here, it sounds more like a matter of unrealistic expectations than anything else. There just isn't that much to the island topside and there are no real luxury accomodations. Think Holiday Inn or Best Western quality. OTOH, it's a lot cheaper than the 5 star hotels in Provo, and the beach makes up for a lot.

Final tip, if you plan on using those kitchens, bring what you can with you. Food availability on the island is very limited and variety depends on how long it's been since the supply boat has been in.

Final word, GT is for relaxing on the beach and enjoying good and very easy diving. It's not for those who need plush hotels, groomed front yards, or an active nightlife.

I've got some photos on flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/98618509@N00/sets/72057594113181898/

Saholz - I am staying at Bohio resort and diving with their in-house shop in 3 weeks (July 1st-5th) and I will post my trip details when I get back. We are also staying in Provo for 4 days, staying at The Sands and diving with Caicos Adventures. So please look for the post mid-Julyish. Feel free to ask any questions after my post. I am expecting a 3-star place with expensive food and an island with some trash on it, so I won't be storming off the island after 2 dives!

TripAdvsor just had another negative review posted about the Bohio. This one complains about the dive boat being out of service, which meant they had to dive with Oasis Divers. The arrangements were made by the Bohio and the pickups were at the resort's beach. They also complained that the resort was 2 miles out of town, (no secret), and that the bars of soap in the room were small. They did like the beach though. Personally, these aren't things I would see as major issues when on vacation at an isolated dive location. :confused:

saholz:
TripAdvsor just had another negative review posted about the Bohio. This one complains about the dive boat being out of service, which meant they had to dive with Oasis Divers. The arrangements were made by the Bohio and the pickups were at the resort's beach. They also complained that the resort was 2 miles out of town, (no secret), and that the bars of soap in the room were small. They did like the beach though. Personally, these aren't things I would see as major issues when on vacation at an isolated dive location. :confused:

Two things I get from this, A- bring your own soap B- dive with Oasis Divers. Ask for Dale and tell her Pilot Fish sent you :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom