Questions about a Bonne Terre trip this weekend....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOL, Looking at 3 different ones actually. Idealy I would like to get the new Goodyear MTR Kevlar tires. Too expensive though new. The other option is BF Goodrich Mud tread. The final choice is a used set I may pick up this weekend. The guy has a set of TSL Radial Super Swampers. 2 have 50% tread, 1 is 80% but is "chopped" abd I guess the other is junk. AS long as the half treads and the 80% are still drivable, then I can just get one new tire and be set to go. Cheaper to get those than either of the others as an individual tire lol. The size is 31x10.50x15 to match the 4.10 gear set upgrade. Thanks again.

Paint

Heard that Bonne Terre was charging $65 a dive! That blew my socks off, but they are all guided tours and the DM does need to be paid...but $65? Wow

The DMs do not get paid at Bonne Terre. Actually, the DMs are required to buy all their gear through West End. They cannot dive with any gear purchased elsewhere, even if it is the same gear West End sells. The prices at West End are full retail, even for shop employees. It is also expected that they leave all their gear at the mine, and those that take it home are often asked for a reason why. Any outside diving is discouraged.

I'm really surprised they manage to get anyone to work or dive there, but I guess there marketing is effective enough.

There is another mine very close by called Mine LaMotte, although it is much smaller, and has an open pit area that leads to pretty crappy vis. There is also a much much larger system of mines formerly owned by the St Joe's mining company, which also owned Bonne Terre. It was shut down in the 70's when they had mined all the lead out. It is also underwater, and the visibility is reportedly just as good, but the veins were much deeper, and the majority of the 300+ miles of passageway are 4-500' below ground level, with the water table being about 80' below ground level. The old mill is owned by the MO dept of Conservation, and operates as a museum now. The primary headframe has been sealed off, so there is no one permitted into the mine. I'm not sure what the status of the other shafts is.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom