Question where to dive in St.Thomas or St.Maarten

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Punisher

Registered
Reaction score
Going to these islands in sept does any one have any advice as far as diving goes good spots and so forth thanks

I dove St. Thomas in April. There are lots of great wreck dives there. Cow & Calf and Arches & Tunnels are good. I also think it's worth it to dive the Rhone which is over in the BVI's -- best wreck I've ever seen. You can do this from St. Thomas by hooking up w/ Chris Sawyer's dive shop in Red Hook (east end of St. Thomas). It seemed that most of the dive sites recommended on this site were on the east end or north side of St. Thomas. I stayed at a resort on Lindbergh Bay (south shore) & dove w/ Blue Island Divers. They were good but would not go that far.

If I went back I'd stay on the east end of the island facing St. John. Come to think of it, I'd probably stay on St. John; it was less crowded and more upscale & natural than St. Thomas. If you get to St. John (15 minutes by ferry), check out Woody's Bar (I had a blast there).
However, St. Thomas was fun & had good diving as well.

Barry

Barry Goode:
I dove St. Thomas in April. There are lots of great wreck dives there. Cow & Calf and Arches & Tunnels are good. I also think it's worth it to dive the Rhone which is over in the BVI's -- best wreck I've ever seen. You can do this from St. Thomas by hooking up w/ Chris Sawyer's dive shop in Red Hook (east end of St. Thomas). It seemed that most of the dive sites recommended on this site were on the east end or north side of St. Thomas. I stayed at a resort on Lindbergh Bay (south shore) & dove w/ Blue Island Divers. They were good but would not go that far.

If I went back I'd stay on the east end of the island facing St. John. Come to think of it, I'd probably stay on St. John; it was less crowded and more upscale & natural than St. Thomas. If you get to St. John (15 minutes by ferry), check out Woody's Bar (I had a blast there).
However, St. Thomas was fun & had good diving as well.

Barry

Thanks for the info I will check out that wreck it sound good

Diving in St Maarten varies from really nice reef systems to fantastic wrecks. You can see all kinds of Caribbean Sea life, depths of the dive sites from 40ft up to 80ft but mostly around 60ft. I usually dive there every year with Ocean Eplorers, they run a small dive operation with a max of 6 divers on the boat, water now is warm and clear!
Have Fun!
Mark

Back
Top Bottom