Question to PADI: Cert cards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My head is now all mixed up. The staff made a judgement based not on the voluntary optional display of a log book, but on their evaluation of cert cards presented?
All divers had to fill in paperwork with their details (home address, next of kin and so on) including highest certification and number of logged dives. On the basis of those two pieces of data plus any additional conversations comments or observations, the staff decided on which boat to send a diver, a buddy pair or a group.

And then, based on that, the company decided which or how many appropriate instructors or DM's were needed? How did they make that decision?
Once the divers were allocated to the boats the owner decided which Instructors and DMs to send on each boat. The decision was made by estimating the divers skills, needs, possible problems and which instructors and or guides would be best prepared to go on each boat. In a resort location there are also language and cultural issues to be taken into account as well.

And not to be a internet spelling corrector, but here's a fun fact to know and tell: If you use the word nitrox, it isn't capitalized. :D
"America and Britain are separated by a common language... and a great big ocean, thank Christ." ~ Oscar Wilde
I fear that many dive ops might use card presentation as a shield from liability more than anything else.

Why do you fear it? It's simple prophylaxis!

Rhone Man:
I would no more carry my log on holiday than I would carry my weight lifting equipment (either one means I am paying excess luggage).

Wow! That's one hell of a big log! Albeit, I only have 99 dives but my log is no thicker than a magazine and about the size of paperback... very little consequence in regards to excess luggage and exponentially less than exercise equipment. In any case, I imagine, the last 100 logged dives would be sufficient proof of depth, conditions and frequency should you have more and proof of experience is required.

I've encountered, primarily in the states, many operators that require evidence of depth, conditions, number of dives and date of last dive on trips/dives that are what most would consider to be within the realm of advanced diving but still well within recreational limits.
....and yet so many people no one has ever asked them for a dive log. Go figure. While yes, if they want to see a dive log, a multi-card may not help, but you know, it will never hurt either.

Wow! That's one hell of a big log!

I don't like to brag about the size of my log, but it goes back to 1982. Three ring binder style. Fun to look back to entries I made when I was a kid and everything was amazing to me.

Back
Top Bottom