question to an odd term I believe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rooster1

Reaction score
I hope this doesn't seem to be a dumb question, but what exactly does the term semi dry suit mean?? I have a nice 7mm farmer john and when I take it of my skin is warm, moist but not wet. Is that considered semi dry??

a dry suit is just that...a DRY suit. your 7MM is a wet suit. you can tell because when you get into the water the WATER rushes into your suit. a Drysuit has seals on the wrist and neck. seals are not needed at the ankles because your feet are also enclosed in the suit.

A drysuit is not only water tight but also AIR tight. it does in fact keep you dry, using special zippers and seams. hope that this answers the question, i am sure that others will add to this :) they always do

A semi-dry suit is basically a wetsuit with a drysuit zipper and
seals, but it still insulates with water. A semi-dry suit is much
more closer to a wetsuit than a drysuit, but it's designed that
the water that gets in stays in and doesn't cycle through.

-Jeff

thank you all. I think funky__monks has explained my situation best. I have dove with my 7mm custom fit and I don't think water continually rushes through it because even in very cold water I am toasty

Originally posted by Rooster1
thank you all. I think funky__monks has explained my situation best. I have dove with my 7mm custom fit and I don't think water continually rushes through it because even in very cold water I am toasty

I stay toasty in my wetsuit providing I don't flail around much.

The big question is... is there noticible seals on the suit, expecially on the neck? It's very likely that a custom fit suit is just a good fitting wetsuit, and isn't actually a semi-dry.

Give it a couple years of use and go deep, and see if water still stays out. As the suit breaks in, the water'll flow through a little more freely than a new suit, however a semi-dry shouldn't change much it's the seals keeping the water from flowing in and out and not just the fit of the suit.

If it was semi-dry, I think you'd know 'cause it would explain the couple hundred bucks extra :)

-Jeff

a semi-dry is much closer to a wet suit. I would not necessarily say it has a dry suit zip, some of the latest models look like they have but I don't think they are. Also the seals are nothing like that on a dry suit - a bit of thin neoprene on the cuffs and ankles.

I've got to get mine out tonight to lend to someone - I'll try and remember to take some photos...

Jonathan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom