Question regarding searching the forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tech Admin:
Thanks for your understanding.

And what makes you think I understand any of this? :280:

jonnythan:
Neither bcd* nor "bcd" return any results.

It only indexes words that are 4 characters or longer by default. There is a configuration where you can specify a list of 3 character words to also index. It seems unlikely that BCD was left off, but it might have been lost in the upgrade [I don't know].

One other option for searching phrases or short words is to use Google. You can limit your search to ScubaBoard by adding site:scubaboard.com to the search. For example, if you wanted to search for BCD you would use:
bcd site:scubaboard.com

To search a phrase such as "searching the forum" you would use:
"searching the forum" site:scubaboard.com

The only problems are that you can't search titles only and you can't limit your search to a particular forum. I've found this technique very useful when I have trouble finding something with the regular forum search.

Jason

KzooJason:
One other option for searching phrases or short words is to use Google. You can limit your search to ScubaBoard by adding site:scubaboard.com to the search. For example, if you wanted to search for BCD you would use:

The only problems are that you can't search titles only and you can't limit your search to a particular forum. I've found this technique very useful when I have trouble finding something with the regular forum search.

Jason
cool, thanks

Ok, if you would like to search using Boolean (versus natural language) you can do so by running an advanced search, at the end of the page look for "Search Type" and select boolean. Enjoy!

Thanks -- the lack of ability to do a phrase search was driving me bats.

Tech Admin:
Ok, if you would like to search using Boolean (versus natural language) you can do so by running an advanced search, at the end of the page look for "Search Type" and select boolean. Enjoy!
Awesome! To paraphrase an old commercial..." Thanks, we needed that!"
C-Dawg

KzooJason:

Jason

Jason, you are such a techno-nerd. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom