Question regarding Pelican cases for dive gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Father

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've seen people with Pelican cases for their dive gear. I never thought to look and see if they have the padding in them.

I'm guessing it wouldn't be good since it would retain moisture from any wet items you put in the case. Is that an accurate assumption?

For example, after a dive, I put my lights and computers in one with padding. Since Pelican cases are air tight it would probably get moldy or the foam would start breaking down, right?

That being the [possible] case, do they make dividers for the "marine" cases? I've seen the padded dividers. Would those hold moisture just as much?

Would just popping a small desiccant pack in the case or opening it up to air out when I get everything home keep the padding from getting nasty?

I use a Pelican case and it has foam. I use the pick and pluck foam but I think there is an option for a solid piece. I do not put tha camera back into the case after dives. It is for travel protection. The foam is removable and could be washed with care. I looked at other brands of hard cases and as I recall many/most had a seal on them. I did see softer side cases that had dividers using velcro but items can move around more than I wanted. A desiccant pack might remove some moisture but all the little live stuff in salt water will eventually make a stink whether you use foam or dividers. The padding on bottom and top of the dividers i've seen are foam under nylon/similar covering. That part did not seem removable on the ones I looked at.

I wash air every out after the trips but don't have to clean the foam much as I don't use it for storage during trips. Do you intend on using the hard case right after diving or just trip transport?

A past thread on similar - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ti...water-housings-cameras-same-pelican-case.html. I thought there was another one but I can't find it.

I didn't think of the salt water stink. Thanks.
I guess as long as I don't put everything into the case right out of the water and wait until I rinse it wash fresh water it should be ok.
I'm thinking mainly my lights and computers. Maybe my compass. Most of that stuff stays on my BC until I get it back to the dunk tank anyway so I could rinse, pack it up, then air it all out when I get it back home.

I use Pelican cases for a camera rig, a toolbox, lights, and one for chargers and memory cards, etc.

But, I don't store wet gear in them. Normally I transport wet camera in a rubbermaid tub, or a cooler bag, or in no bag at all, until it's at the very least, well rinsed. I also don't use the dividers or foam, but I also only use it for driving transportation, where I know it won't be tossed around and is mostly used so I can set heavy stuff on top and not worry about it.

If I did transport wet gear, I would open it as soon as possible and dry it out. A dessicant pack won't absorb the large amounts of moisture from wet gear. You could use some sort of neoprene bags or something to wrap your gear in, then toss it in the pelican sans foam, while wet, though.

i used to use a pelican for checking camera gear. it (hopefully) would provide sufficient protection against luggage apes. it was only used for transport. it never saw a dive site. getting water and sand into it would be a bad thing. the pelican was very strong, but way too bulky and heavy.

i now carry-on my delicate camera gear in a soft sided back pack. trays and arms go into my wheeled duffle along with my dive lights and other dive gear. i use a mesh bag for gear transport while diving.

all my gear is dry before it goes back into "luggage".

The open cell foam that comes with them isn't ideal as it will absorb mater. If you use closed cell foam it doesn't have this problem, but Pelican doesn't sell this as an option. You can get them from other people. Pelican cases with closed cell polyethylene foam

Closed cell foam is a bit heavier then open cell foam. not sure how much, but if you pick up the same size piece of each it's obvious. My pelican cases without any foam weight close to 20 pounds of the 50 pound non-overweight limit for most airlines, so extra weight isn't ideal.

The other thing is that dive gear is pretty tough, if you pack light but bulky stuff to keep things from rattling around that might be good enough.

There are lighter protective cases out there, but the ones noticeably lighter tend to either cost a fortune or not allow a decent lock.

Back
Top Bottom