Question re: water in my mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Try the method I got from a dive shop manager. My wife's mask doesn't fit me, as I get small gaps on my cheeks. But if I press it in and inhale through my nose, it stays. Of course it leaks when I use it. Masks that pass the tilt head/no gaps test never leak. Unless I haven't shaved in a while.
I see. I guess lucking into that one I found caused me not to look into why the one I bought in OW course passed the suck test yet always seemed to leak a bit.
Actually, as OTF says, even my trusty old one does on very rare occasions leak a little bit, then is fine for months.

The biggest help by far was shaving the very top upper edge of the mustache just under the lip by an 1/8 inch to give the mask some skin to rest against.

This! I was unable to enjoy my very first confined water lesson because of the leaks. Then I shaved clean for the following lessons. And now I only shave the upper edge just under the nose, so the silicon can get that grip agaist my skin. And of course some small amount of water in the mask shall not feel like a problem, it only helps to clear the mask

My mask doesn't leak, unless I forget to shave! I've had the same mask for 6-7 years and really like it. I stopped being a daily shaver a few years ago and went to an every 3rd or 4th day electric clippers #1/2 (1/16" - 1.5mm). Went diving and had a slow leak the whole first dive. Annoying as all get out when you know your mask doesn't normally leak at all! Realised I hadn't shaved in a couple of days. As soon as I shaved, leaking stopped. I know some have said to put various coatings on your face, but with stubble that didn't seem to help me. So my recommendation is to shave and see if the mask, once properly fitted, still leaks.

It's odd when a mask only leaks on the 2nd dive. The one I bought during OW course did that. Probably is a reason, maybe just mask goblins.

Water up your nose?
Not a big problem!
Freedivers do it all the time.

You want to keep you eyes dry, bacause then you can see. Washing your nose is a secondary bonus only!

Keeping your nose dry can surely be a comfort factor, but stricly that only. It is not a safety issue. Now, do some freedives without a mask and that water in the nose situation becomes a non-issue.

Keeping your nose dry can surely be a comfort factor, but stricly that only. It is not a safety issue. Now, do some freedives without a mask and that water in the nose situation becomes a non-issue.

It is an issue for poorly trained divers as a leaking mask can be stress factor for them. It shouldn't be, as there should be no poorly trained divers, but since poorly trained divers exist, it is. Stress inhibits clear thinking can result in task overloading (i.e., not being able to clear the mask and maintain buoyancy). Having a poorly trained diver sink while they try to clear their mask (especially if it is chronically leaking) is certainly a safety issue.

You are so correct!
I absolutely acknoledge that!

I have to assume though that v´everyone posting here at least possesses some skil.

Dang it, this was the first time I used the mask! I'll try it again with a tightened strap.

Don't tighten the strap too much. If you have to err one way or the other, a slightly loose strap is better than too tight.

Water pressure will hold the mask against your face while you're diving, but if your strap is too tight it can interfere with your ability to clear water from the mask (probably the skill you'll do more of than any other in the OW class.) Ironically, many new divers overtighten their mask straps because they believe tighter is better and it will keep the mask from leaking. It doesn't prevent leaks... just prevents you from getting the water out when you have to.

I do have an issue with getting a new mask, as I had prescription lenses put into the mask.

Then just enjoy the mask. If you get leaks, blow the water out... it's good practice, you'll do it a lot in OW class, and soon it'll become so automatic that you won't even think about it.

You'll also likely find that the mask skirt eventually forms to your face, the way insoles in your shoes form to your feet. Then the seal of the mask will work better.

Everything in diving takes some time to get used to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom