Question re. Remaining Bottom Time in the Galileo Sol

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hatul

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone know if the RBT allows for a safety stop, and if yes for how long? The manual mentions that it allows for ideal ascent rate and mandatory deco stops, but does not mention safety stop.

Adam

remember this rbt is to get you safely to the surface with the tank reserve left in the tank. i would think that this is with a safety stop
but no it doesn't say that in print but i am going to guess yes i cant say i have ever been close. hit deco sure but never get a rbt warning.

Firstly you set into the computer, what pressure you would like to surface with on each dive. If you were trained with PADI then put in 50bar.
Then dive. The remaining bottom time is just that. The amount of time you can spend on the bottom.
If you PDIS activated then it will also factor in the deep stops and the saftey stops you need to reach the surface with 50bar (or what ever you input)

So to recap.
I set mine to 25bar and leave it.
I go diving to say 40m.
The computer tells me I have 2mins RBT
In two mins I start my assent.
It will tell me to do a deep stop
It will tell me to do the safety stop and I will surface with 25bar

Does that clear things up?

Firstly you set into the computer, what pressure you would like to surface with on each dive. If you were trained with PADI then put in 50bar.
Then dive. The remaining bottom time is just that. The amount of time you can spend on the bottom.
If you PDIS activated then it will also factor in the deep stops and the saftey stops you need to reach the surface with 50bar (or what ever you input)

So to recap.
I set mine to 25bar and leave it.
I go diving to say 40m.
The computer tells me I have 2mins RBT
In two mins I start my assent.
It will tell me to do a deep stop
It will tell me to do the safety stop and I will surface with 25bar

Does that clear things up?

Yes that's what I was asking. My understanding is that the Suunto Air Time as in the Cobra is much different then the RBT of the Galileo, as the Air Time does not include time for any ascent or stops.

The RBT on the Galileo keeps track of how long your gas is going to last in real time based on your depth, your breathing rate and how much gas you have in your cylinder. As you ascend,the RBT will increase as long as your breathing rate is the same and you are not going through your gas faster than you are ascending. We recommend hitting your Max. depth and coming up nice and slow doing a multi-level dive.

We use the Galileo Sol in our training programs. We recommend that when your RBT or No Stop time reaches 10 ( mins ) or more, you start a very slow ascent. Both RBT and No Stop should increase. If your RBT, goes below 10 mins., continue your ascent but a faster rate.

It is up to you to do safety stops as you ascend. We recommend that you use the rule of thirds even for rec. diving. You should have 1/3 of your cylinder to do your safety stops. We suggest 1 -3 minutes at about 40 ', 3 - 5 minutes around 25' and 5 minutes or so around 15'. Of course, keep your eyes open for the dolphins, manta rays, turtles and anything else that likes to frolic in the shallows.

As CPH, mentioned, it is up to you to decide how much gas that you want to end up with on the surface. At that time your RBT will hit zero.

We recommend that you set your reserve at around 600 psi for a 3000 psi tank. The more adventurous the dive the higher you set your reserve. For tec diving 1000 psi. For a very shallow dive under your boat with no current you may set it lower that 600 PSI. It is up to you.

We just returned from Bonaire with a very enthusiastic group of newer divers. Their goal was to have at least an hour bottom time on each dive. By using the RBT and downing loading their dives, they all excended their goal.

Good Luck and Good Diving!

clear as mud! i get the idea but its simply not in the book

Does anyone know if the RBT allows for a safety stop, and if yes for how long? The manual mentions that it allows for ideal ascent rate and mandatory deco stops, but does not mention safety stop.

Adam

RBT does not include any safety stop time or deco time. It also does not include what ever tank reserve you have preset.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RBT does not include any safety stop time or deco time. It also does not include what ever tank reserve you have preset.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you reconsider your statement. According to the manual (p49) the RBT is the time you can stay at current depth and still have enough gas to make a safe ascent and still have tank reserve. It takes into account any deco obligation and assumes ideal ascent rate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom