Question on Wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tresguey

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Well I was at my LDS where i will be taking my OW test in a few weeks looking at Exposer suits. I let them know i really dont dig being cold. and asked what suits i should take a look at. the first suit he showed me was a O'Neil 7mm with a 5mm extra internal torso. he said it was like a 12mm on my torso. that sounded good at $350 but when i did some research on some online dive shops and havnt noticed a O'Neil suit on one. When i was a lot younger i used O'Neil while surfing. seemed ok but what is your take on them for diving?

I have never seen an O'neill suit in person.

My LDS carried them years ago. He saif he dropped the line for Henderson due to problems like seam separations. This was years, not months ago so it may not be relavent any more.
O'neill may have some stong provisions against online retailing. It's more common in the industry every day.

It sounds like you were shown a full suit (jumpsuit) with a vest to be worn under. If you want to get the most out of that configuration I would make that a hooded vest. it will do a lot to eliminate your neck opening as a source of seepage. It will also keep you from having the suit, vest and hood bib on your upper torso. 3 ply material in that area is excess insullation and buoyancy and that means more weight.

I agree that the Oneill name has been around a good long time though gets the most press from the surfing side of the business. Theor drysuits have been getting good words here lately.

Have you found this suit on the O'neill site? How does you local price compare?
http://www.oneill.com/products-index.php?sport=dive&categoryID=-1

Pete

Tresguey:
Well I was at my LDS where i will be taking my OW test in a few weeks looking at Exposer suits. I let them know i really dont dig being cold. and asked what suits i should take a look at. the first suit he showed me was a O'Neil 7mm with a 5mm extra internal torso. he said it was like a 12mm on my torso. that sounded good at $350 but when i did some research on some online dive shops and havnt noticed a O'Neil suit on one. When i was a lot younger i used O'Neil while surfing. seemed ok but what is your take on them for diving?

One of my wetsuits is an ONeill 7mm "jumpsuit". Combined with a hooded vest and a dive skin I am good to go, for 20 or 30 minutes, in water down to 50 or so. Below 50 is drysuit time.

G_M

p.s. did anyone ever tell you that you look like Sean Penn?

Spectrum, thanks for the site info. i looked it up and found that it was the 7mm on 5mm 7000x Avalon FSW. They state its for cold cold weather. what temp that is i dunno.

LOL, yeah i could be a dead ringer for Sean Penn huh......everyone has to like Fast Times At Ridgemont High !!!!

I agree with above. If your going to spend $350 for a suit, go custom. Do a google search for "custom wetsuit". I use an aquaflite suit from aquaflite.com and swear by it. I live in Southern Cali also and wear a 5mm fullsuit with a 5mm hooded jacket. A 7mm fullsuit with a 5 or 7mm hooded vest is also good to go. Fit is absolutely important and good fit does not equate to uncomfortable fit. If most divers started out with a good fitting suit they would still be diving because they would be warm. Unfortunately, many LDS push whatever they have on the shelf to new divers and miss the longterm sales when the diver quits. Welcome to diving!!!
Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom