question on weighting???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

southjerseydiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
hey everyone. i usually know how much weight i need but this time im barrowing some gear from a friend. this will be my setup. henderson hyperstrech 7mm suit, steel bp/w, sta and a steel 95. i will be diving in salt water so, anyone know how much weight i should have?? i am 5'10 190#

Yo- SouthJersey, impossible to give you an answer you with that limited info.

Forgeting the equipment for the moment, there's a large swing in weight requirements among people. A lean 'n mean 5'10" athlete might need 5-6#s less than a chubby desk jockey of the same height and weight.

Start with your known weight requirements for the most similar equipment, and make individual adjustments for each piece of changed equipment; tank, BC, & wetsuit, adding or subtracting weight according to it's comparative bouyancy. There are charts that show tank bouyancies, compare the weight of the backplate to yours, and guesstimate for the wetsuit difference. This should yield a reasonable starting estimate, and you'll do a final bouyancy check before diving. As a suggestion, if you've used that wetsuit before, calculating the differences for hardware is easier than for thermal protection.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom