Question on Water Temp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arnodiller

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Some friends and I are going to be in San Pedro for the week of Lobsterfest for some diving and partying. I was wondering about the water temp so I can pack the right wet suit. We hope to spend one day at the Blue Hole and the rest local.

Peter, can you help? Looking forward to your pizza.

The water is usually up to the lower 80s by the end of June. One dive a day...maybe a shortie of no wetsuit. Three dives a day...I'd wear a full 3mm.

I wear a (thick) diveskin all the time. If you have one I'd bring that, plus a 3mm shortie (or rent one). You can wear the two together or as is likely just the skin.

Wrong Peter for pizzas! That's "bad Peter", who runs Pedro's Inn and also Pirates Pizza.

I'm diving tomorrow and think the temp is currently around 84f. The highest I've recorded here is 86f, but usually at this time of the year it's around 83f.

Don't forget air temperature. If you do a night dive you may well find that although a skin was enough underwater you want more on the boat for the ride back. Bring a baggy cycling cape to put over everything.

It would for me. Sometimes (not always) there's a thermocline at around 100ft or so and it can be several degrees cooler below. I have felt a bit cold there, but you're only there for a few moments and I'd rather put up with that than overheat and have buoyancy issues the whole of the rest of the time.

Not too many people care about ecology but Belize is overfishing its lobsters very heavily. Enforcement of existing laws is lax, fishermen commonly catch juvenilles and cut them into pieces to sell on the black market, there is no limit on how many lobsters a fisherman can catch at a time, they can use an unlimited number of traps, they can catch at night if they want (when all the lobsters are out) , the hook stick fishermen oftentimes break and turn over corals while trying to catch a lobster, and Belize has an extremely long season open for lobster of 8 months which is ridiculous. Belize lobster fishermen are prepared to hunt lobster to shallow water extinction (deep water lobsters will survive because it is illegal to scuba dive and hunt lobster, although some lobster fishermen do it). The fewer there are, the higher the market price will be and the more thoroughly they will be hunted commensurate with the incentive.

The Lobsterfest is all good and fun for some people but it is just fiddling while Rome burns as far as the lobsters are concerned. The cultural patrimony of Belize and its fishing traditions is now long gone since commercialization of fishing is the norm today. The little local guy who just feeds his family has taken a back seat to the guy with a thousand traps and a fleet of six boats with ten to fifteen guys on his payroll.

People who scuba dive should actually want to see an abundance of marine life, lobster included, in places that they visit. There is a mentality that is hard to understand of the scuba diver who does not care what people do to their reefs as long as he can see something big, a turtle or spotted eagle ray perhaps, so he can tell his friends about it back home. The reef is a very complex aggregate and the little denizens are just as important as the big ones, and can even lead to the downfall of the big ones when they are no longer there. The entire chain needs protection not a blase´ attitude of partying till its all gone because tomorrow may never come.

Instead of gorging on beer and lobster, scuba divers should stand back and lobby for more marine reserves with protected status. If one looks at areas of the world that the reef is making a comeback, they are places like Ningaloo in Australia which is a fully protected marine reserve. With all the pressures facing the coral reefs including but not limited to global warming, bleaching, sewerage and sedimentation from runoff causing algae blooms and suffocation, careless people, overfishing,and carbon in the atmosphere creating carbolic acid in the oceans which eats away at the limestone skeletons of corals, we scuba divers should all care a little bit more.

Hear, hear!! The same also goes for shark fishing, and come to that ANY fishing near areas where people dive. This country needs to decide its priorities - subsistence fishing until stocks run out, or a flourishing tourist industry.

Especially since UNESCO/World Heritage is considering placing our barrier reef on the endangered list:-

Following the UNESCO meeting in March, Francesco Baldarin the Director of the World Heritage Center is proposing in the draft decision to the World Heritage Committee that the Belize Barrier Reef be inscribed onto the in Danger list.
They concluded that the Belize barrier reef is under ascertained threat, primarily from the destruction of mangrove islands within the property boundaries.

Belize Institute of Enviromental Law and Policy (BELPO) have been instrumental in bringing the plight of the Belize Barrier Reef World Heritage site to the attention of UNESCO. As far back as November 2004 they had been petitioning for the Barrier reef to be places on the in Danger list. Their hard work is now paying off.
Thank you BELPO, Candy Gonzalez, Melanie McField, Lisa Carne and all others involved

Letter%20to%20Belize%20re%20Danger%20listing-1.jpg

Letter%20to%20Belize%20re%20Danger%20listing-2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom