Question on the other kind of Pro.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

randytay

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Not sure where to post this question but this is a question about being "Pro", so here goes.

Does anyone know if there are any age restrictions for commercial divers? Someone tild me they will not hire any one as a commercial diver if you are above mid-twenties. Can somebody please verify that information? Thanks.

Not sure where to post this question but this is a question about being "Pro", so here goes.

Does anyone know if there are any age restrictions for commercial divers? Someone tild me they will not hire any one as a commercial diver if you are above mid-twenties. Can somebody please verify that information? Thanks.

...that I'm aware of. My first contract was on a barge in Campeche', Mexico & the oldest diver on board was 62! Diving contractors want ( primarily ) folks who can get things done on bottom quickly, correctly & safely. They are also very interested in folks who bring other skills to the job ( welder, mechanic, electrician, electronics technician, heating/cooling techs. etc., etc. ), thus an older person with a desirable skill-set plus varied experienced has a huge advantage over younger, newly minted dive school grads who bring nothing extra to the table.

Regards,
DSD

There is no age restriction for commercial diving.

Like DSD said the more skills that you have the better offf you are of finding work.

You have to be a minimum age of 18 to get into commercial diving school. Most diving contractors will not hire you unless you have been through one of the recognized schools because commercial diving school graduates are a dime-a-dozen, and it would be a liability to hire someone with no training to start with.

It is my understanding that if you are in good physical condition, you have a good, solid record of experience as a commercial diver that you can continue to work to a ripe old age. I do not think that you will fare well to try and switch careers at age 40 (or possably even 35) to commercial diving if you have no training and experience in the industry. One does not step out of the corporate cubical and instantly become a Journyman Carpenter any easier than leaving a Seven-11 clerk job to walk into an operating room to be a Neurosurgen. You have to pay your dues, have reference to back up you experience and you have to be able to perform and produce a product/service as fast as the next kid. Don't base your expectations of who experienced commercial divers are on those staged "reality TV" shows about divers. Most of the guys they show are either somebodies brother so they got the job, or they are on their way out the door due to their lack of performance and stupidity.

Also, that photo you are using as your avitar will not get you very far in the industry either. Commercial diving is a conservitive, "Heman" industry that is not as affected by the labor and social laws that typical jobs on land are bound by. Drug use, anti-social personalities trates, being sensitive and not keeping your mouth shut will also get you removed from the barge/oil rig/job site in a manner of minutes as well.

Good luck

Not that i know of . There was an army vet in his 60's went thru school just as I graduated.
I can't tell you if he's working or not but he told me it was some thing he's always been interested in, retired from the army and spent his GI bill $.

Back
Top Bottom