question on physics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k ellis

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Just curious as to how this would work so I figured Id ask others who had more knowledge.

As we know our regulators deliver air to us based on the adjusted ambient pressure of depth. (I think) My question is simple. If a person was to do say a rescue dive where a person was trapped in an air pocket say in a car that had submerged. If this was at 2 atmospheres or 66 feet in depth. what would the result be if you were to come inside that air pocket and allow someone to use your alternate air and then come to the surface?

Would it make a diffrence since they were in an air pocket all the way to the bottom as far as the capacity of the lungs are concerned? What would be any concerns on this application?

iF This seems like a stupid question I apologize in advance just something I was curious of.

I'm no expert but wouldn't the air pocket inside the car be at the same pressure you are since you are both at the same depth? So even if they were only breathing from the air pocket in the car it would still be compressed air at 2 atm.

I'm no expert but wouldn't the air pocket inside the car be at the same pressure you are since you are both at the same depth? So even if they were only breathing from the air pocket in the car it would still be compressed air at 2 atm.

Well that would be my first guess too but I am not exactly sure which led me to ask this question innitialy.

By the way Kellevil great to see a fellow oklahoman on here :clapping:

Also no expert, but that makes sense to me as well.

That's the way I see it.

Cool question.

The air pressure would increase to 3 ATM at a speed depending
on the manufacturer and the cubic centimetres of the automobile.

If a person was to do say a rescue dive where a person was trapped in an air pocket say in a car that had submerged. If this was at 2 atmospheres or 66 feet in depth. what would the result be if you were to come inside that air pocket and allow someone to use your alternate air and then come to the surface?

Boyle's law would affect any submerged air space. The increased pressure of the water at depth would cause a corresponding decrease in the air pocket volume. This, would proportionally increase the pressure of gas in the air pocket.

As far as breathing goes... it would be just like breathing from a scuba unit. If you kept breathing on the descent, you would be inhaling increasingly dense air and that would equalise your lungs. If you then transfered to scuba, the pressure would be the same.

You would also absorb nitrogen into your system at an equal rate to breathing from scuba.

Would it make a diffrence since they were in an air pocket all the way to the bottom as far as the capacity of the lungs are concerned? What would be any concerns on this application?

None... it would affect you the same way as breathing from scuba.

The air pocket would be 3 atmospheres as soon as you got the car opened if not before. You might break a glass if you have tools which would finish equalizing, but it'd probly equalize on its on by the time you got to it - so you could just open a door if not locked.

Boyle's law would affect any submerged air space. The increased pressure of the water at depth would cause a corresponding decrease in the air pocket volume. This, would proportionally increase the pressure of gas in the air pocket.

As far as breathing goes... it would be just like breathing from a scuba unit. If you kept breathing on the descent, you would be inhaling increasingly dense air and that would equalise your lungs. If you then transfered to scuba, the pressure would be the same.

You would also absorb nitrogen into your system at an equal rate to breathing from scuba.

None... it would affect you the same way as breathing from scuba.

Ok even though this is not possible due to air constraints and what not Its only hypothetical....

So what your saying is if this person were to survive long enough somehow for a person to get to them but it places him outside of scuba dive groups and NDLS on the accent he would have to make deco stops accordingly correct?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom