Question on Kama'aina rates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

L

Lopaka

I know (from my wife asking them) that Island Divers offers kama'aina rates, who else does?

Also, what is accepted as proof of local residence? We got both our cars registered here, bought a house, but do not have Hawaii driver licenses yet. We want to do a visit to Haunama bay as well, but no way do I want to pay $5 a head. I believe it is free or $1 for locals there.

Some places are more strict than others. If you have a state ID it needs to have a hawaii address on it. Most places on Oahu accept state ID...some will accept state id and say a bank card. Some golf courses will not accept state ID at all.

Haunama bay will accept state ID with hawaii address, a bank card, home ownership stuff, etc.

I think there is a "local residence card" or something..which is just as valid as a drivers license.

Most dive shops offer 10-20 percent local discount and most are not that nutty about checking the identification.

Lopaka:
I know (from my wife asking them) that Island Divers offers kama'aina rates, who else does?

You mean specifically dive operators? A discount usually comes in the form of being a member of their dive club. In addition to Island Divers, I know that Captain Bruce's, Ocean Concepts and Breeze all have dive clubs. I think AAA was trying to get something going. Membership dues and cost of the club dives varies.

Lopaka:
Also, what is accepted as proof of local residence? We got both our cars registered here, bought a house, but do not have Hawaii driver licenses yet. We want to do a visit to Haunama bay as well, but no way do I want to pay $5 a head. I believe it is free or $1 for locals there

Proof of residence for kamaaina rates usually comes in the form of the Hawaii DL. Since you don't have yours yet, do you have a state ID? If not, I'd just call Hanauma Bay and ask. I've heard of some places where a piece of mail addressed to your local address along with your out of state ID will suffice.

Was referring to dive operations, mostly, for local rates. Guess if there are other places that offer saving a few bucks, that would be cool to know. Already have our Maika'i cards for Foodland.....

Will check on the ID card thing. Probably have to go to the DMV for that if it is like Calif. Need to go there anyway to change the car registration address.

justleesa:
Usually I start talking local....they believe me without having to whip out my wallet :D
That and you look local:rofl3:

what?......

me-1.jpg

:D

Always the tease!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom