Question on Instructors on Charters in Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kstnbike

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I plan on coming out from the mainland in July w/ my dad and friend (my students) to do some diving and get them their AOW. What charters, if any, give discounts to instructors bringing students on their charters and also allow independent instructors to teach on their boats? I've talked with a few operations already and most seem fairly apprehensive on letting another instructor on their boat. If any operations do give instructors a free ride or a discount do they still let you tag along with a guide (don't know the dive sites at all and even if I did, it's always better with a guide). And yes, yes, I know my profile doesn't show me as an instructor, yet, I'm going through IDC right now.

Thanks,
Kstnbike

Dive & Sea Maui seems to be pretty good about that -- it's a 6-pack boat, and as long as they're named as additional insured, I understand they're very flexible.

Of course, they won't give you a DM if you're riding free... :)

As I understood it on Oahu, where there are charter boats that rent seats to dive shops / instructors, an independant instructor must show proof of insurance, possibly with the charter boat listed as additional insured, and have a GE tax license (vender) to get a free seat. On Maui the charter boat scene is different, with most operators conducting classes of their own so not neccessarily interested in your side business.

The only situations I have seen similar to what you desire are very experienced instructors who are either current or ex employees, long time customers and/or previous students who charter the entire boat and do the guiding / instruction all by themselves or with DM's they compensate some way. With your lack of experience, conections and small class you will probably not find what you are looking for and should start now making other plans.

KrisB and I were posting at the same time and he may have your answer.

Thanks for the information. If anyone has anything else to add that would be great as well. I have a good amount of connections on the mainland so I'll see if anyone has some friends in Maui.

Thanks,
Kstnbike

Another possibility for the reluctance is that if it's a free seat there might be an issue whether someone could make an argument the instructor is acting as crew, which if something happens brings up both insurance and coast guard issues... gotta have a urine test, insurance, and other stuff.

As a business owner, I'd want to know that any student on my boat is getting adequate instruction, and more importantly, in a safe manner. You have some control over employees, and little over someone who's just visiting, and at least you'll have an idea of how your own employee handles themselves in most situations. I know of a dive op that let a visiting instructor do a class on their boat a few years back, the instructor went directly under the boat channel and lost a student, came up without them and when questioned answered "she has plenty of air, she'll be up". The student popped up in the boat channel right druing the time when the fishing charters were coming in... very dangerous, the captain was quite upset.

As mentioned earlier, known individuals often get a lot more leeway.

I have been told that Lahaina Divers offers discounts for Instructors... B&B offers discounts for local instructors bringing students onboard, I don't know about those from off island however...

Aloha, Tim

I inquired of ERDA and Severns about bringing students - both told me they DO NOT allow anyone other than their staff to teach from their boats. Can't speak about any other ops in that regard.

adjuster-jd:
I inquired of ERDA and Severns about bringing students - both told me they DO NOT allow anyone other than their staff to teach from their boats. Can't speak about any other ops in that regard.
I'm not surprised -- they usually manage to fill their boats with certified divers anyways... :)

adjuster-jd:
I've never seen their staff teaching either. Just nice clean, smoothly operated dive charters for certified divers.

Having instructors onboard with students just adds more complications and possible restrictions on allowable dive sites. I've been on boats in SE Florida where in addition to dropping people on the 3rd reef, that they will run inshore to shallow spots and drop of instructors. Then run out and drop someone off deep for AOW. Then pickup some fast breathing divers off the inside ledge. Then run back inshore to check on instructor. Then back out to outer ledge to pick up some divers, then ....... .... By then we are done with SI and the whole routine starts again.

Back
Top Bottom